Workbook Comparison - Weekly Entry Delta

Gsrgofass

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I have a Master list of data. Each week, I get an updated list where some items can drop off OR new items could be added OR both.
Good news is I only need to be concerned with the delta of the ‘Name’ column in order to determine the weekly changes, if any.

Each week I would like to compare the old list with the new list and have some clear visibility of the items that have been added and the items that could have potentially dropped off the list.

If this week’s list had 20 items and next week 10 new names are added and 5 names dropped off, a list of all 35 names. The resulting list, after next week’s list, would show the names that have remained unchanged, the names that have dropped off and the new names added. The reason I need to know which names dropped off or new ones that were added is because I have to report on these changes. Maybe color the cells that dropped off in RED and new names in YELLOW leaving unchanged names uncolored?

I am unsure whether I can do this with VLOOKUP with some additional functions and conditional formatting or if I should be doing this with Power Query. This is why I’m posting here first. If Power BI is the solution, I can post this question there.

Thanks all. Hope everyone has a great wknd.

Steve

Attachments

• Weekly Name List.png
    Weekly Name List.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Maybe something like this:

Book1
ABCDE
1Week 1Week 2AddedRemoved
2NameNameNamesNames
3JohnAndrewAndrewMike
4MikeAnnJudyRalph
5JulieJohnKathleen 
6TonyJudyKevin 
7RalphJulieLisa 
8AnnKathleenShelley 
9SamKevinThomas
10SteveLisaTrish
11Sam 
12Shelley 
13Steve 
14Thomas
15Tony
16Trish
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E3:E8E3=IFERROR(INDEX($A$3:$A$106,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW($B$3:$B$16)-ROW($B$3)+1)/(ISNA(MATCH($A$3:$A$10,$B$3:$B$16,0))),ROWS($D$3:D3))),"")
D3:D13D3=IFERROR(INDEX($B$3:$B$16,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW($B$3:$B$16)-ROW($B$3)+1)/(ISNA(MATCH($B$3:$B$16,$A$3:$A$10,0))),ROWS($D$3:D3))),"")
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
B3:B16Expression=ISNA(MATCH(B3,$A$3:$A$10,0))textNO
A3:A10Expression=ISNA(MATCH(A3,$B$3:$B$16,0))textNO

Upvote 0
This works great, thanks!!!!

Would you mind breaking this formula and cond. formatting down so I can understand how it works, please?
With me understanding it more clearly I can hopefully expand my knowledge of Excel.

Upvote 0
This link will explain the formula. I used the IFERROR function instead of the count function which is used in the video. He is right that the IFERROR function can slow down a worksheet if it has a lot of formulas. In most cases you probably won't notice a difference.

Upvote 0
This link will explain the formula. I used the IFERROR function instead of the count function which is used in the video. He is right that the IFERROR function can slow down a worksheet if it has a lot of formulas. In most cases you probably won't notice a difference.

Right on for the formula. Any help the cond formatting?

Upvote 0
On ribbon go to Conditional Formatting
- New Rule
- Use a formula .......
Then to format removed names but in this formula =ISNA(MATCH(A3,$B$3:$B$16)
change above formula to match your data.
1681747164501.png

For added names
1681747237226.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back