Workbook design help

Xenoun

Board Regular
Hello,

I have recently completed a workbook that trends a fair amount of data for a specific group. In total I have 13 of these groups with data that needs to be trended, and I plan to use the first one as a template.

Ideally I would like to be able to click a drop down menu, have it display all the groups and then when I click on the desired group it will bring up the trend graphs.

Does anyone know what the best method would be to achieve this? My first trend workbook uses four sheets, and requires a button to be pushed that updates data that it grabs from the master workbook. The button also updates a few formatting fixes and a pivot table.

Any suggestions would be helpful, i'm not really sure how to go about doing this due to the nature of the spreadsheet. I'll also have to look into how to construct a drop down menu

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.

sijpie

There are a number of options.
The simplest is probably to preapre al the graph sheet permutations. Then hide them all. When selecting a certain group, only the valid sheet(s) are then unhidden and available.

This is simple to achieve with
Code:
sheets("yoursheet").visible = false  ' hide
'or
sheets("yoursheet").visible = true  ' make visible

First create your set of macros to hide/show the relevant sheets

then somewher in your spreadsheet (on a hidden sheet) have a table with the 13 group names. Name the list

Then from the Forms controls select the combobox paint it on your home sheet somewhere and link the form to your selection macro

Xenoun

Board Regular
Thanks for the reply. From what you've said it seems like I should dump the 4 sheets from each group into one workbook and just have the sheet with the graph appear and update when the person selects that group

Can you confirm whether i've understood that correctly or if you're meaning something else?

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VICKRAM

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...