Workbook protection issue

hebel53559

Excel 2007. I have the workbook structure protected with a password. When I open the file, the worksheets are sized to file the normal Excel window space. When I email the spreadsheet to a customer who also has Excel 2007, the worksheets are small and she has to use the arrows to navigate. We tried changing her view and that didn't work. She does not have the arrows available to resize the window. The only way I could fix it for her was to remove the workbook structure protection. I'm nervous about leaving it this way for our entire customer base as they could unhide hidden sheets and even delete them. Has anyone else experienced this? One more thing, customers that have an earlier version of Excel have not had this problem. This workbook is save as an .xls to be backward compatible. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Can you tell me the exact steps you've taken so far so I can help you out further? Have you just gone to Review, Protect Sheet?

It looks like MS changed the way excel protects documents in 2007. That may be why users of previous versions aren't having troubles. Do you both have Windows Rights Management SP2 installed on your computer?

This allows a little more control on your sheet. You have to have a hotmail.com or live.com account I believe, but once its setup on your side you can put that person on the list for changing and also tell with the docment expire.

If you have a customer web portal/sharepoint you could accomplish the same thing.

Upvote 0
Could you also clarify what exactly you mean by "the worksheets are small and she has to use the arrows to navigate"?

Upvote 0
Review>>Protect Workbook>>Protect Structure and Windows. In the window, I checked Structure and Windows and added a password. I have done this manually or via a macro.

ActiveWorkbook.Protect Structure:=True, Windows:=False, Password:=myPWD

As I'm reading more about this, I'm wondering if I have to check 'windows'. Maybe I only need to protect the structure. I've sent one to the customer with just structure checked to see what result she gets when she opens it.

As far as Windows Rights Management SP2 installation....I have no idea. We do not have an open desktop environment here. If I had to guess, I'd say no. We also do not have an customer web portal. This is in my dreams, but I don't think I'll see it anytime soon.

Upvote 0
To clarify the 'worksheets are small'. It's hard to explain without a picture. Normally, you have a minimize, maximize and close icons for Excel as a whole AND on each open workbook. When she opens, she does not have these options on the workbook, only on Excel as a whole. AND the worksheet window is only 6 inches by 6 inches instead of filling the whole excel area. Does this help?

Upvote 0
What about saving it as *.xlsx and testing it another computer? I think your issue has to do with the version and you may have to use WRM.

Upvote 0
Have you also checked to make sure your customer your working with has the zoom in the bottom-right to 100%...I know this is kind of dumb, but I thought I'd ask.

Upvote 0
After reading your post a couple of times I'm understanding it. So you don't have a problem with protection just window size. I think when you talked about using False for Window protection it may work then. Sorry, I need to pay attention more.

Upvote 0
I tested using False for Window protection with the customer and this works. I have to do some more reading on what protection I lose by not checking the windows box for protection.

Thanks for your help working through this.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have the exact same problem described below. So everybody's saying that the workbook protection for Window is not necessary and is what is causing the problem.

Does someone knows what is exactly the problem? Is it only Excel 2007 versus Excel 2003?

And Hebel5339, if you are looking at this post, did you find more about your problem?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back