Workbook saved as [Group]

TheeConstress

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,
I'm working in a report for my work and I'm trying to change the filter on my data, though when I go to do this - I can't. I went to the Data tab on the Command Ribbon to clear the filter that way, but everything is greyed out. That's when I noticed that it is showing "[Group]" next to the file name at the top of the window.
I'm familiar with shared workbooks, but I've never seen it notated as [Group]. I checked Share Workbook under Review and it's not showing that it is shared... So I'm not sure how I enabled this or how to undo it. Can someone help me out?
I'm using Excel 2019.
Thank you!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
If anyone has an answer, I'm curious.
But I just clicked into a different sheet in the same workbook then back again and it no longer says [Group] and I'm able to change my filters.
So I solved my problem somehow.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

The Group is referring to the fact that you have multiple worksheets selected at the same time - nothing to do with shared workbooks.

Say you are on 'Sheet1' of your workbook, if you hold the Ctrl key and click on the tab for, say 'Sheet3' (& possibly others) then you now have two (or possibly more) sheets selected and the 'Group' text will appear at the top. The reason that your filter options were greyed out is that your filter is only on one of the selected sheets so you cannot clear it on all of them. Excel greys out options that are not applicable to multi-sheet selections.

To clear the sheet grouping you can click on a sheet tab that is not one of the currently selected sheets (that is what you must have done) or else you can right-click on one of the currently selected sheet tabs and choose 'Ungroup Sheets'.

If you ever group sheets I would always try to remember to ungroup them as soon as possible. Otherwise you may end up adding/editing/deleting data on multiple sheets when you think you are only doing it on one. :oops:

Hope that clarifies a little for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back