Workbook-to-Workbook Update with different column names

michaeltsmith93

Board Regular
If someone could point me in the right direction with a link and/or an example line or two of code, that would be fantastic.

I have two workbooks, and a colleague will be updating one of them sporadically. I'd like to create a command button that will update the differences between the two sheets. I'll have them both open, so no need to do anything crazy there. The data are set up as a list of people with attributes (email, phone, etc.) in columns to the right. I can use the last name as my vertical match. What I'd like to do is write some code that equivocates one column to another (e.g., "Email" = "PI Email"; "PI Last Name" = "PI (Last)") so that it's putting the correct data in the correct place.

Because there is some data on the first sheet that I don't want on the second sheet, I can't simply copy the whole row. I've found tons of solutions to do that, but none to accommodate differences between the sheets like this.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I think that it would be easier to help and test possible solutions if I could work with your actual files which include any macros you are currently using. Perhaps you could upload a copy of your files to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark each file for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to each file that you can post here. Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do using a few examples from your data and referring to specific cells, rows, columns and worksheets. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back