Workbook_BeforeClose not working when closing application

jblevins

Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
In Excel 2010, if I use the close workbook "X", Workbook_BeforeClose works, but if I use the application close button, it does not - why?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Maybe you have disabled events in your code? Hard to tell without seeing the code. Just guessing.
However you can still call the routine ino your code before closing the application.

Upvote 0
Maybe you have disabled events in your code? Hard to tell without seeing the code. Just guessing.
However you can still call the routine ino your code before closing the application.

The only line of code:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
    MsgBox "test"
End Sub

I did create a macro that does the trick, but I would like to have things working like the should.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not this code. The one that is closing the application.
Or any other code that calls it ...

Upvote 0
The conclusion I have come up with is that the issue is only with .xlsb, all others work as they should.

Upvote 0
Well I played with it a while. Your conclusion I think is not correct. The Workbook type is irrelevant.
case 1. If you use Workbook close event to close the workbook The Before close event will trigger every time w/o fail.

case 2. If you are closing the Application (by Application.Quit or by the X close button) - BeforeClose event will only work once. If you cancel the closing process and then you try again to quit the application the event will not be triggered (although Workbook Close will still trigger it)

Tested on Excel 2016 32 bit, Windows 7 64 bit.
I am pretty sure the behavior will be similar on most if not all systems.
And I believe things are working normally although I may not always understand the mysterious ways ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I said is how 2010 works after spending several hours testing.

Let me ask this, did you share the .xlsb and hide it as personal.xlsb is normally used?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No I haven't but this is new information which you didn't share before, and is not the general case.

It seems your conclusion is partially correct but it is only true if the file is called PERSONAL.XLSB. Fortunately this is not the only filename that will do what you need.

Any other file name (e.g. Personal2.xlsb) or type (e.g. Personal.xlsm) will behave as normally expected. Even add-ins behave in the normal way.

The only thing I can think of is that this is the behavior MS chose for this specific file.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianhfield

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back