Workday Formula

Cpinhey

Hi,

I'm setting up some workbooks for the new financial year 2012-13 and I've got a problem with a workdays formula that has worked perfectly well for this current year, 2011-12.

Here is the formula:

=IF(WORKDAY(A$1,ROW(A1)-ROW(A$1),BankHolidays)>A$2,"",TEXT(WORKDAY(A$1,ROW(A1)-ROW(A$1),BankHolidays),"dd/mm/yyyy"))

A1 = First day of year
A2 = Last day of year
BankHolidays = Named Range of UK Bank Holidays

I populate a column with the formula to get a list of all the working days for the whole year.

My problem is when I have tried this formula for this new financial year, start date 01/04/2012 and end date 31/03/2013, I keep getting 01/04/2012 as the first working day, but 01/04/2012 is a non working day (sunday) I've checked have all Bank Holidays entered correctly.

I think I'm probably missing something really simple here, would appreciate any ideas?

Or does someone have a better way of generating a list of all working days for an entire financial year?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Perhaps

=IF(WORKDAY(A$1-1,ROWS(A$1:A1),BankHolidays)>A$2,"",TEXT(WORKDAY(A$1-1,ROWS(A$1:A1),BankHolidays),"dd/mm/yyyy"))

Upvote 0
Glad to help...

also, you can reduce the calculations considerably..

Put this in the FIRST cell (Say E1 or whatever)
=IF(WORKDAY(A$1-1,ROWS(A$1:A1),BankHolidays)>A$2,"",TEXT(WORKDAY(A$1-1,ROWS(A$1:A1),BankHolidays),"dd/mm/yyyy")+0)

Then in the rest, you only need to test the previous formula for >A2, thus reducing calculations
=IF(E1>=A$2,"",TEXT(WORKDAY(A$1-1,ROWS(A$1:A2),BankHolidays),"dd/mm/yyyy")+0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...but that second formula won't work correctly if the end date is a non-working day, e.g. if you have A2 = Sun 31/3/2013 as stated then you'll get dates up to 1/4/2013.

I'd suggest using just this in E1

=WORKDAY(A$1-1,1,BankHolidays)

and in E2 copied down

=IF(E1="","",IF(WORKDAY(E1,1,BankHolidays)>A$2,"",WORKDAY(E1,1,BankHolidays)))

format all cells with required date format

Upvote 0
Ah, I think i see what u mean. I've just logged off, will give this a whirl when im back in the office tomorrow morning.

Thanks you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back