workers schedules and timetables

znaya

Board Regular
hello all.

i know nothing about databases in general or microsoft access... yet.
i'm going to start my reading soon.

lately i've done a lot of research about spreadsheets and excel (i got a lot of help from this forum users, really) and... the result is that i'm almost finishing one project... one spreadsheet which generates the calendar and where users can input the shifts and the days they worked. from that input i can calculate the taxes workers will pay and the wage they will get.

what i want to know is if it is possible to combine those calculations in access, store, for each user, each month he worked and print a "report" of a given month's wage and taxes...

i hope i was clear enough.
thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Is it possible? Yes, absolutely. That's what Access has been designed to do.

If you are asking how to import your data from excel into access, that is more complicated, and depends on exactly how you have stored the data in excel.

Upvote 0
:) Thank you.
My biggest doubt now is how do it because, in the spreadsheet i've done, one monthly calendar is generated and in a given column users can input letters which correspond to shifts they worked. Months have different number of days and holidays are never the same. The wage depends of the amount of shifts, the weekdays, if there are holidays or not and the hours of the day... The number of shifts to store are never the same and the value of a given shift depends on many variables. So far I've only read about some simple examples of contact list databases, I need to do a lot of reading still (and the days have only 24 hours...). I've already selected some books to start the project but at this moment I'm finishing some reading about FreeBSD.

Upvote 0
Darn board wouldn't accept my previous post so I'm going to give a very brief overview and then suggest you search this meassage board for more info.

• First you have to organize your data into tables. For info on how to do this see <a href="http://r937.com/relational.html">here</a>.
  • Second you will probably want to display the appropriate info from your tables in a form. If you also want to edit the info or make new entries into the table(s), i.e. add shift info, you use the form to edit or add records. For info on how to do this see <a href="http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321738&highlight=create+form+modify+table+time+work">here</a> and see <a href="http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323671&highlight=create+form+modify+table+time+work">here</a>.
  • Finally to display your info to be printed, you create a report, and either create a query that joins multiple tables or select the table directly as your recordsource for the reports. Put labels and textboxes into the page header and page footer section to display once per page and put your main data into the details section as labels and textboxes. You can display data from your recordsource by referencing that field using syntax, "=[YourFieldName]", in the textbox or label. For more detailed info, search the forum.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back