working backwords to restore a formula

tigger2

I have a spreadsheet which I did not create, in which several formulas are returning @VALUE errors. The formulas are supposed to calculate warranty periods. I can't figure out why the formulas are not working. Any ideas?

Q4=IF(CELL("datatype",I4:I4)="l",I4,EDATE(I4,L4)) where I4 is a date and L4 is a number

R4=IF(CELL("datatype",J4:J4)="b","Not Known",EDATE(J4,M4)) where J4 is a date and M4 is a number

S4=IF(R4="Not Known",Q4,MIN(Q4:R4)) depends on R4 & Q4 being correct

T4=IF(CELL("datatype",S4:S4)="l","Undetermined",IF(S4>=TODAY(),"YES","NO")) depends on S4 being correct

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Are you sure the I4 & J4 are valid dates?

Gnaga

Upvote 0
Well, it did something. it now returns @NAME except for R4 - now returns "unknown"

Can someone explain to me what this formula is trying to do? I'm not familiar with the CELL, EDATE and DATATYPE terms here. That might help me figure this out.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
EDATE is part of the Analysis ToolPak, a statistical function Add-In. You are getting #NAME because you haven't loaded the Add-In. To do so choose Tools, Add-Ins, check the box next to Analysis ToolPak and click OK.

To get help on a function select the cell containing it and click the f* button on the Toolbar. Then click the ? button in the Paste Function dialog box.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back