Working but gotta be a better way!

jzibton

Every day I send an open order report to my cust service group. To make it simpler to read and understand I make orders group orders into categories based on a ship date.
Older,
2 days late,
1 day late,
Today
Tomorrow
2 days out
Future

We only work M-F but there might be a Saturday or Sunday ship date entered so I have to factor the weekend in. I currently have a 'what if' statement for every day of the week, and just replace the statement based on what day it is.

Monday=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",IF(I2=TODAY()-3,"1 Day Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-2,"1 Day Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-1,"1 Day Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-4,"2 Days Late",IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",IF(I2=TODAY()+1,"Tomorrow",IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"2 Days Out","Future"))))))))
Tuesday=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",IF(I2=TODAY()-1,"1 Day Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-2,"2 Days Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-3,"2 Days Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-4,"2 Days Late",IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",IF(I2=TODAY()+1,"Tomorrow",IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"2 Days Out","Future"))))))))
Wed=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",IF(I2=TODAY()-1,"1 Day Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-2,"2 Days Late",IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",IF(I2=TODAY()+1,"Tomorrow",IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"Friday","Future"))))))
Thurs=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",IF(I2=TODAY()-1,"1 Day Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-2,"2 Days Late",IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",IF(I2=TODAY()+1,"Friday",IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"Monday",IF(I2=TODAY()+3,"Monday",IF(I2=TODAY()+4,"Monday","Future"))))))))
Fri=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",IF(I2=TODAY()-1,"1 Day Late",IF(I2=TODAY()-2,"2 Days Late",IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",IF(I2=TODAY()+1,"Monday",IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"Monday",IF(I2=TODAY()+3,"Monday",IF(I2=TODAY()+4,"Tuesday","Future"))))))))

I know I can string these all together, but there's got to be a simpler method. Would like one statement to cover all days of the week.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
It's hard to figure out this whole weekend thing from your formulas, can you give some examples and expected results?

Upvote 0
-2​
2 days after today
-1​
1 day after today
0​
today
1​
1 day late
2​
2 days late

if the above range is pasted into A1 then copy this formula into the cell you want your result to be.
=IFS(TODAY()-I2>2,"Older",TODAY()-I2<-2,"Future",I2=I2,INDEX(B1:B5,MATCH(TODAY()-I2-IF(WEEKDAY(I2)=7,1,0),A1:A5,0)))
This is assuming ship date is still in I2.

Upvote 0
I'll be glad to elaborate, hopefully clearly . . .

In my open order file, Column 'I' is the ship date. On each day of the week, I grab the if statement designed specifically for that day of the week. So on Monday I pull the data and copy into column 'J' the if statement for Monday, on Tuesday I grab the IF statement that is specific for Tuesday, etc, etc.

Wednesday is the cleanest day since 'today-2 = Monday' and 'Today+2 = Friday'.

Below is each day, with each IF statement broken out. I did this for myself to make my original statements. To deal with Sat & Sun, I look at it if they were Monday or Friday. Sounds much more confusing that it actually is.

What I am hoping to do is simplify the IF Statements and potentially, through some VB magic, just have one statement that covers Mon-Fri. So I don't have to copy and paste everyday.

Monday
=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",
IF(I2=TODAY()-3,"1 Day Late",
IF(I2=TODAY()-2,"1 Day Late",
IF(I2=TODAY()-1,"1 Day Late",
IF(I2=TODAY()-4,"2 Days Late",
IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",
IF(I2=TODAY()+1,"Tomorrow",
IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"2 Days Out",
Future
Tuesday
=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",
IF(I2=TODAY()-2,"2 Days Late",
IF(I2=TODAY()-3,"2 Days Late",
IF(I2=TODAY()-4,"2 Days Late",
IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",
IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"2 Days Out",
Future
Wed
=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",
IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",
IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"Friday",
Future
Thurs
=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",
IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",
IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"Monday",
IF(I2=TODAY()+3,"Monday",
IF(I2=TODAY()+4,"Monday",
Future
Fri
=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",
IF(I2<TODAY(),"OLD",
IF(I2=TODAY()+1,"Monday",
IF(I2=TODAY()+2,"Monday",
IF(I2=TODAY()+3,"Monday",
IF(I2=TODAY()+4,"Tuesday",
Future

Upvote 0
Maybe something like this:

=IF(I2=TODAY(),"TODAY",ABS(NETWORKDAYS(I2,TODAY()))-1&" Day(s) "&IF(I2<TODAY(),"Late","Out"))

Upvote 0
So, I tried copying and pasting my solution above, and it didn't paste correctly. This formula avoids the data table.

=IFS(TODAY()-I2>2,"Older",TODAY()-I2<-2,"Future",I2=I2,INDEX({"2 days after today";"1 day after today";"today";"1 day late";"2 days late"},MATCH(TODAY()-I2-IF(WEEKDAY(I2)=7,1,0),{-2;-1;0;1;2},0)))

Do Either my or Eric's solutions get close?

Upvote 0
I've been trying to get back to this all day, and other 'stuff' has gotten in the way. Hope to respond over the weekend!
Thanks for input.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm back. Eric's work! But the =IFS statement returns a #NAME? error. Probably a simple error but I couldn't find it.

Pretty sure I can use Eric's, so your choice if you want to go further.

Thanks for your assistance!

Upvote 0
But the =IFS statement returns a #NAME? error.
The IFS function is only available with 365 & 2019, so if you are using an older version you don't have it.

You might want to update your profile to show what version of Xl you are using.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back