Working From Fixed Values

Lestat

I asked this question the other day in a thread titled "This Has to be So Easy!" and got two great answers, but (my fault) I didn't describe the problem correctly. I finally figured out how to post tables so maybe this will help.

I have a widget factory. Each day there is a target for how many widgets are produced. There is an overall target of 650 produced by March 31, 2017. I'm interested in how far ahead or behind we are to targeted production at the end of each day (I'm open to ideas for just working with the 650 target, but I think that would require LOOKUP or COUNT functions that I don't know how to use). For instance, it does me little good to know we are -3 widgets behind 570 with a remaining 100 days to go. That's too wide of a picture and I want to keep it on a daily level.

DayTargetRunningActualRunning +/-
Target TotalProduced Total
Mon10107-3
Tue5157-1
Wed0150-1
Thu1025154

<tbody>
</tbody>

I could probably figure this out using a bunch of extra columns, but I want to keep it as clean as possible with the fewest number of columns. Assume "Day" is in cell A1. Also notice that the factory was shut down on Wednesday.

The formula for E3 can't simply be =D3+C3 or D3-C3 for obvious reasons. The +/- will depend on whether there is an overage for that day (as there was on Thu) or we under produced (as we did on Mon). So I'm not sure how to rectify this without creating other columns that total results. Also, the shut down day is confusing me.

So the simplest way I can think of to explain it is that I need to produce 650 widgets by April. And I'd like to keep a running total of how far ahead/behind we are each day.

And maybe this should be another thread, but I'm also going to want to something very similar only with sales, with the total sales figure by end of March being $16,000 and I'm going to want to track each day's sales and the running difference of that too. I know it might seem silly as to why anyone would want to do this, but it's important to me.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Does this formula in E3 (copied down) do what you want...

=SUM(D$3:D3)-C3

Upvote 0
Yes it does! Thanks! I am getting a "Formula omits adjacent cells" error in E4 and E5 for some reason. But the math is correct.

Upvote 0
I am getting a "Formula omits adjacent cells" error in E4 and E5 for some reason.
It is not an error, rather, it is a warning. While not 100% sure, I think it is letting you know that you are referencing multiple cells in Column D but only one cell from Column C next to it... I think Excel is making the unwarranted assumption that you should be referencing all the cell in Column C that are next to the cells you referenced in Column D. If you select the cells with the green triangle and then click the icon with an exclamation mark inside a diamond shape, you will get a drop down list... select "Ignore Error" and the warning symbol will go away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back