Working from SharePoint, cache issue, Discard Changes fix.

Luke777

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have a workbook stored in SharePoint which is opened in the app to allow for VBA operations (I shall refer to this workbook as wbA).

As part of its operations, it references two other workbooks, which are also on SharePoint. The fact that there are *two* referenced workbooks seems unimportant to me, so for the purpose of this explanation, I shall pretend there is only one and refer to it as wbB.

wbB is a daily report, its information is *always* unique to that day. wbB is also a brand new file created daily by another piece of software. Once a new report is generated, the old file is simply deleted and replaced with the new report of the same name.

The code itself runs perfectly. But since moving over to SharePoint, I've been experiencing a weird caching issue. At a point in the code wbB is opened up (using the SharePoint URL) and some information is copied to wbA. However, wbB is being cached locally, so when the following day's report is created and wbA comes to operate on it, the cached version of the file is opened instead of the new one (despite the code explicitly using wbB's URL).

I've tried using VBA to delete the cached files which is janky to say the least, and manually deleting them also works fine.

However, a better workaround has sort-of presented itself. When wbB is opened by the code, a message below the ribbon says something along the lines of "a new version is available on the server", pressing "discard changes" then forces wbB to open the relevant version of itself.

Is there a way do click "discard changes" using VBA? I've briefly tried a few possible methods, but no success so far. I assume the solution is a very short line after wbB.open, but I can't quite find the correct method.

Anyone have a solution to this one? I suspect I'm not a lone with it either.

Oh, and I should point out that I'm not in a position to make any changes to the way SharePoint's settings are configured.

Thanks for the help!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi Luke777, hope your issue had got resolved. I had faced exactly the same issue. It needs Office Document Cache to be cleared in order to fix this which is available from File --> Options --> Save --> Caching Options. Checking the box " Delete files from the office document cache when they are closed" fixed this issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back