Working out averages for a baseball spreadsheet

Stepsinpairs

Hello,

(using excel 2007, windowsXP)

I have created an in-depth baseball spreadsheet detailing at-bats with things such as left or right-handed pitchers, runners on base, pitch type, day or night game and lots more.
The main problem I'm having is working out a batting average in specific situations.

For example if I want to know my batting average against left-handed pitchers;

Pitcher type is in column N (Right or Left)
End result is in column AD (no hit, single, double, triple, home-run, walk, IBB, SacB, SacF)
Can anybody help with what formula I need to use to work out my average against left-handers?

I have a calculation for counting the number of times I have faced left-handers; =COUNTIF(Batting!N:N,"L")
But I don't know how to calculate the hits against only lefties and not righties too.

Sorry if my explanation isn't great! It would help if you know the calculation for baseball batting averages so I don't have to complicate it further with an explanation :)

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Welcome to the forum.

Isn't it a bit more complicated than that? You don't want just how many times the player faced a lefty or righty, you need to know if the at bat counts. so you need to interpret the end result to eliminate walks, IBB, hit by pitch, sacb and sacf.

I would start by adding a columns CountAtBat and OnBase (these should be either 0 or 1) facing left hander is =countifs(Batting!N:N,"L",CountAtBat,1)
lefty batting average=countifs(Batting!N:N,"L",CountAtBat,1,OnBase,1)/countifs(Batting!N:N,"L",CountAtBat,1)

Upvote 0
Hi Par thanks for your reply! I've just been working on it and with a few tweaks to what you suggested I've managed to work it out and got the averages to all the scenarios I wanted.
Really appreciate your help!

Upvote 0
Glad that worked. I didn't expect it to be perfect but hoped it sent you in the right direction.

Good job and thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back