Working with Add-Ins & Macros

selkov

I want to make available to several users at the same time a number of custom macros. It is important that I am able to make corrections (or additions / deletions) to these macros and they can not. Also it is important for the corrections to need be done only once as I do not want to go to 8 users & make repetitive corrections.

So i tried to make one hidden/shared workbook available to these users. Works, kinda, two problems 1] they could make changes to the macros & so it could contaminate all users and 2] even as a hidden workbook it askes to be saved evrytime someone closes excel. I tried to correct this by using "displays=false" but that effected all workbooks not just my test case.

Now I am thinking of trying an add-in.
I need help.
What I have done so far is this:

In the properties box of VBA I have changed the IsAddin from false to true. Then from within excel I have added the file as an add in. This opens well & closes without prompting. BUT I can not see the maros in that workbook when I enter {F8}. They are however visible when I enter {F11}.

I need to be able to attach those macros to either custom buttons or to objects in other workbooks (Depending on the user) so I need to be able to see them in the {F8} drop down box.

All help is welcome

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
If it's an addin, you won't see the routines in your macro dialog box (Alt + F8). You can, however, assign the shortcut keys for them, or better yet, create a custom menu or toolbar with these routines associated to them.

You can keep an addin in a shared folder over a network as well, so you only have to update one file. This may get tricky depending on how your network is setup, but as long as you can access the file you should be ok.

Upvote 0
firefytr

I think I am most of the way there.
How can I create a custom tool bar that will stay ONLY in that particular workbook?

Evry time I reied it it got added to the main excel workbook too.

Upvote 0
Attach it to the workbook desired. It's easiest to do this when an addin file is not an addin (prior to making it, or set the IsAddin property to False, make change, then switch back). Or create a routine for when a specific workbook is activated, deactivated.

Upvote 0
Zack,
I can't seem to get it to do as I want.
Let me elaborate...

I took a workbook (call it test) with a macro in it.
Converted it to an ad-in via th IsAddIn box.
Then saved the file on my network & closed it

Opened my excel & attached it via the Add-Ins option in the tools menu.

I then opened a workbook (call it work) where I have an Imbeded object that I wish to link to a macro in the test workbook. I can't do it.

If I make a custom tool bar or menu in Test it will always be visible regardless if the "work" workbook is open or not. that is not going to work for me.

Any Ideas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back