Working With White Text

pepper2956

I have an Excel file that is linked to a Powerpoint presentation. The presentation has a blue background, so the Excel text needs to be white. When I format the text to be white so it displays correctly in the presentation, I can not longer see it on the standard white background while editing within Excel. I do not want to change the background color within the cell using cell/format because the background shows up in the powerpoint presentation where I don't want it. How do I change the background in Excel for editing purposes ONLY.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Welcome to the Board!

Why not just change the font color or back color to a manageable color temporarily, then change it back when you're done editing? Or am I missing something?

Smitty

Upvote 0
The content of the spreadsheet is updated by another party who is not as well versed in making Excel and Powerpoint work together. The "pretty" is my responsibility.

Upvote 0
When he opens the spreadseet, it looks like a blank worksheet and he messes it up before realizing the content was hiding.

Upvote 0
Anna

Why not put code in the workbook open event to change the font colour to a visible colour?

Then put code in the close event to change it as required for PowerPoint.

Upvote 0
Can you explain how to do the "events"? I am not a programmer, so dumb it down if you can.

Smitty: I cannot complete edits because the numerical content is entered by the gentlemen (it is an engineering document).

Upvote 0
Smitty: I cannot complete edits because the numerical content is entered by the gentlemen (it is an engineering document).

In that case why not create a "dummy" sheet for him to enter the data, then use that one to feed your formatted sheet.

Smitty

Upvote 0
I already did that, but was hoping posting here could help me arrive at a more streamlined solution. Having two versions of the spreadsheet also increases the chances of human error and constantly checking/changing the link to the Excel file within the Powerpoint document.

Upvote 0
Here's something like Norie was suggesting:

<font face=Tahoma>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_Open()
    Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Font.ColorIndex = 1
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN>)
    Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Font.ColorIndex = 2
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

It will set the font on sheet 1 to black when the wb is opened and white when it closes. Right-click the Excel icon and select View Code. The code gets pasted into the window that opens on the right. Then your PP format should be OK.

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back