working with worksheest

blueflash

I am trying to do something pretty simple but don't seem to be able to get it right.
I want to put the maximum value of data from a column in one sheet into a cell on another sheet.
Here is the code I am using:

Code:
Sub datamax()

Dim data_range As Range

Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    With Sheets("sheet1")
        Set data_range = .Range(.Cells(1, "a"), .Cells(54, "a"))
    End With
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveCell.Value = "=max(data_range)"

End Sub

Could someone put me straight please?
Thanks

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi

You don't need all those Selects in there and are you after just the max value or a formula to show the max value? Assuming the latter, try changing your last statement to:

ActiveCell.Formula = "=MAX(" & data_range.Address & ")"

Upvote 0
Thanks for quick reply Firefly.
Actually, the end result of what I want is the value of ((max of values in sheet1-min of values in sheet1)/50)

Upvote 0
Well, you could just return the value:

Code:
ActiveCell.Value = (Application.Max(data_range) - Application.Min(data_range))/50

or you could build that into your formula (probably the approach I would prefer just because you havea clear audit trail):

Code:
ActiveCell.Formula = "=(MAX(" & data_range.Address & ") - MIN(" & data_range.Address & "))/50"

Upvote 0
Thanks Firefly.
The first option writes the correct values ok but the second option just writes the formula into the cell (and there is no reference to the data range in Sheet1). I would prefer to use the second option because as you say it leaves a better audit trail but it doesn't write the actual value I need to use.

Well, you could just return the value:

Code:
ActiveCell.Value = (Application.Max(data_range) - Application.Min(data_range))/50

or you could build that into your formula (probably the approach I would prefer just because you havea clear audit trail):

Code:
ActiveCell.Formula = "=(MAX(" & data_range.Address & ") - MIN(" & data_range.Address & "))/50"

Upvote 0
Apologies - I neglected to account for the range being on another sheet to where the formula resides. It should be this:

ActiveCell.Formula = "=(MAX('" & data_range.Parent.Name & "'!" & data_range.Address & ") - MIN('" & data_range.Parent.Name & "'!" & data_range.Address & "))/50"

Be careful when you copy the above - there are apostrophes leading/trailing double quotes and thus easy to miss

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help but I think I am going to have to look for another way round this.
I copied your code exactly as is into my program and then set the data range

Code:
    Sheets("data").Select    Set data_range = Cells(2, 1).Cells(19, 1)

and ran it, the result was that in the active cell on the "results" sheet I finished with

=(MAX(Data!$A$20) - MIN(Data!$A$20))/50

when, with the data in my range, the value should have been 0.4

Upvote 0
You have amended how you are assigning a reference to data_range (compared to your first post) so you end up with only a single cell - do you perhaps mean this instead:

Code:
Set data_range = Range(Cells(2, 1),Cells(19, 1))

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, I missed the typo of . for ,

Fixing the typo gave me the right result.
I also found that

Code:
ActiveCell.Value = (Application.Max(data_range) - Application.Min(data_range)) / 50

gave the right result

There was another mistake in the original code

Code:
[COLOR=#574123]ActiveCell.Formula = "=(MAX(" & data_range.Address & ") - MIN(" & data_range.Address & "))/50"[/COLOR]

it should have been

Code:
[COLOR=#574123]ActiveCell.Formula = "=(MAX(" & data_range.Address & ") - MIN(" & data_range.Address & ")/50)"[/COLOR]

So all is now ok. Thanks for your patience Firefly

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back