Worksheet cell displays formula instead of its value--why?

GaryInOly

Hi Folks,
this is my first post on this forum, and also my first at using Excel Jeanie; please let me know if I have somehow transgressed.

Second, my problem seems to be ultra-elementary, and that's why I've spent hours trying to solve it on my own. I've used Excel spreadsheets off and on for 20 years or so, and yet I can't figure this out. I'm using Excel 2003/SP3 under XP.

Problem: Column I is displaying formulas instead of the formula values, and I cannot figure out why! (Ignore the cells with * in them; I think it means "undefined value".)

Let's look at row 62: I want I62 to have the same value as N62, but it displays the formula "=N62" instead of N62's value "1600".
NOTE: All cells are text format.
Now look at F62: It has a formula ("=L62") as you can see from the formula table below the sheet table, and the value of L62 ("0630") is correctly displayed for F62.

I made the format of I62 to be the same as F62 using the format painter, just to be sure there wasn't something weird about I62's formatting; I also used the format painter to apply F's format to I.

So I don't think my problem is with I62's format.

Thinking the problem might lie with N62, I set K62 to have a formula that's the same as I62's--namely, "=N62"--and the value substitution is correctly made for the display of K62. So I concluded that there's nothing wrong with using the value contained in N62.

Another thing puzzles me: When I type in the formula for I62 ("=N62"), after I've typed the "2" but before I hit Enter, the "N62" string turns blue, and a blue box with handles appears around cell N62. That tells me that at that stage, Excel KNOWS that I've typed a cell reference in the formula bar.

But, after I hit Enter, the blue shading goes away; and all operations after that on I62 treat the formula I typed as a text string. For example, if I try to copy I62 to say I64, the string "=N62" appears there, too, instead of "=N64".

I have searched many places for why this is happening yet have not gotten any hits. I posted the question in Yahoo!Answers (where I've been active in the Physics forum) but the 3 folks who replied all assumed I was doing something stupid in my formatting or data-entry! I don't blame them! But, by the time I was driven to post there, I'd already tried their suggestions.

Does anyone here have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks for wading through the excruciating detail of my question. :confused: -- Gary

*ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1*YearMonthDay Of
Month
WkdayEst. Low TimeAppleTree
Low-1335
WestDeck
Low-1335
Est. High
Time
AppleTree
High-1335
WestDeck
High-1335
KOLM Low
Time
KOLM
Low
KOLM High
Time
KOLM
High

<tbody>
</tbody>

*ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
62*20141112wed063030.6=n62=N6240.71600063028160045
63*20141113thu030030.2**42.1*030029150043
64*20141114fri063024.6**42.3*063016143046
65*20141115sat053023.0**43.0*053015150047
66*20141116sun070023.9*=N6643.7*070016150048
67*20141117mon070025.5*=N6741.0*070019143050
68*20141118tue073027.1*=N6842.3*073019150048
69*20141119wed050032.5*=n6945.7*050030150050
70*20141120thu0*********

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:31px;"><col style="width:36px;"><col style="width:46px;"><col style="width:49px;"><col style="width:49px;"><col style="width:61px;"><col style="width:73px;"><col style="width:73px;"><col style="width:61px;"><col style="width:73px;"><col style="width:69px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:45px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
F62=L62
K62=N62
F63=L63
F64=L64
F65=L65
F66=L66
F67=L67
F68=L68
F69=L69
F70=L70

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Welcome to the forum. :)

NOTE: All cells are text format.

That's why. You need to change the format to something else if you want a formula to work rather than being treated as literal text.

Upvote 0
Are you telling me that you can't use string manipulation functions on Text cells?

Then why is my code for F62 working? It is Text and its formula is defined analogous to that for I62.

Upvote 0
No, I'm telling you that if you apply a Text format to a cell (Format Cells , Number tab) the cell will treat anything you enter into it as literal text, including a formula. Change the cell format to General, then f2 and Enter to re-enter and calculate the formula.

Upvote 0
No, I'm telling you that if you apply a Text format to a cell (Format Cells , Number tab) the cell will treat anything you enter into it as literal text, including a formula. Change the cell format to General, then f2 and Enter to re-enter and calculate the formula.

Thanks, Rory! I followed your advice and got the results I wanted.

I also remember wondering at times how to enter a string that Excel kept interpreting as a formula (even though I didn't want it to be); now I see that Formatting the cell as Text before you enter such data will accomplish that.

Gary

Upvote 0
If you are dealing with a large number of formula formatted as text... and need to convert them back into a formula, it could be time-consuming to do it one by one.

Here's a tips for your consideration:

Select the cells with formula formatted as text
(Suggest to change the format back to General first)
CTRL H to open Find and Replace
Find what: =
Replace what: =

Replace all

Upvote 0
If you are dealing with a large number of formula formatted as text... and need to convert them back into a formula, it could be time-consuming to do it one by one.

Here's a tips for your consideration:

Select the cells with formula formatted as text
(Suggest to change the format back to General first)
CTRL H to open Find and Replace
Find what: =
Replace what: =

Replace all

Thanks for the tip. Your mini-procedure implies that a Replace command causes XL to treat the cells with "replaced" values as though you have re-entered those new values. (I think it also assumes that the first character of each text field is a "=".)

It does raise a question in my mind: Under the scenario you describe (i.e., "If you are dealing with a large number of formula formatted as text... and need to convert them back into a formula . . . "), are there commands you could use to automate that first step--namely, "Select the cells with formula formatted as text"?

IOW, since it would be time-consuming to select those cells manually, does XL give you a way (without writing a macro or a VB procedure) to "multi-select all text cells whose first char = "=" "?

If so, then your tip would really save some time!

Upvote 0
If you want to apply the Find and Replace to the whole worksheet, you can select any one of the cell (just one cell) and then perform the Find and Replace.

Try and see.

Upvote 0
If you want to apply the Find and Replace to the whole worksheet, you can select any one of the cell (just one cell) and then perform the Find and Replace.

Try and see.

Sure enough! I think it's counter-intuitive . . . but I also see that it's documented in XL Help.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back