Worksheet Change Event

shawleigh17

Board Regular
Is there a way to write a Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) event in module after creating a sheet in VBA? I constantly delete a sheet, then repopulate it with a new one that is empty, but I need to add some code that happens if they should change a particular cell. It worked when I ran it on a worksheet without refreshing, but as soon as I cleared and repopulated the sheet, it was gone. Is there a way to preserve this?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Much simpler would be just to have a hidden, empty worksheet template with the event handler code already written in it's class code module.

Rather than adding a new sheet, just copy the template and make the copy visible. Copying the template will copy the event handler code.

Upvote 0
Or use the Workbook_SheetChange event and check if it's the sheet you are interested in.

Upvote 0
Rory's implicitly picked up on something there -

You say that you are using the Worksheet_SelectionChange event handler to monitor if a particular cell is changed. You should be using the Worksheet_Change event handler...

Upvote 0
I tried doing that last week, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I posted on here, but nobody saw it/ offered suggestions, so I was trying to find a way around it.

Here's the prior post:

I am trying to write code in a sheet whenever that sheet is changed, but I only want this sheet to be affected, and no others. This sheet is deleted/recreated with each run of the larger program, so I can't really have standing code in the sheet file. Is there a way to do this? I want the sheet to essentially do this: When I change a value in the "From Location" column (B), I want column A to update with the vlookup value.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    If (Sh = Workbooks("WAT_File_Existence_Test.xls").Sheets("Print_Sheet")) Then
        Workbooks.Open ("D:\Personal\O&S_Report.xls")
        Sheets("SKU_Change_Plan").Visible = True
        Sheets("SKU_Change_Plan").Unprotect ("fritoIPM")
        ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).FormulaR1C1 = "l;l,"
        Dim O_S_Value As Boolean
        O_S_Value = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Velocity").Range("A9")

If O_S_Value = "True" Then
            Descrp = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(ActiveCell.Value, Workbooks("O&S_Report.xls").Sheets("SKU_Change_Plan").Range("All_Data"), 4, False)
        Else
            Descrp = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(ActiveCell.Value, Workbooks("O&S_Report.xls").Sheets("SKU_Change_Plan").Range("All_Data"), 4, False)
        End If

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        Workbooks("O&S_Report.xls").Activate
        Sheets("SKU_Change_Plan").Protect ("fritoIPM")
        ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs ("D:\Personal\O&S_Report.xls")
        ActiveWorkbook.Close
        Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Oh, nevermind, it looks like those are two different things. I'll look into the Worksheet_Change event handler.

Upvote 0
I think I have unintentionally confused you. :(

My point was that you said you were using
Worksheet_SelectionChange at the sheet level which would equate to Workbook_SheetSelectionChange at the workbook level.

Whereas, as Rory said, you should be using
Worksheet_Change at the sheet level which would equate to Workbook_SheetChange at the workbook level.

Hope that clarifies...

Upvote 0
Okay, how do I use the Workbook_SheetChange Event and check that I am on the right sheet?

I have tried, but I don't think that I am doing it right...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back