worksheet help

KyaPam

I'm hoping there is a simple way to do this. I have an excel worksheet with 8K rows of data - each row represents an individual. There are several columns i.e. Last Name, First Name, Test Performed, Date and Time (of test), ID# (which is unique to each person). Each individual more than likely will be listed more than once i.e. if he came in and had 3 tests done on the same date / time then there will be 3 entries (1 row for each test). He may have also been in with a different date / time for 1 or more tests. Each different date / time needs to be considered a different encounter i.e if he came in on 01/01/06 @ 3:00 for 3 tests that would be 1 encounter then he comes back in on 2/6/06 @7:00 for 2 more tests that would be 1 encounter.

I need to determine the following:
1. Total number of individuals that had a test(s) performed. Keeping in mind one individual may have more than 1 encounter.

2. Total number of individuals that had more than 1 test performed on the same date and time.

Is this possible without doing it manually? I would have included a snapshot of my worksheet but that exceeds my capabilities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pam

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
One way to do this would be to use a PivotTable. You can get the totals for each person using this and sort by this total to determine the amount of people with multiple tests. I also think you could get the amount of people who have multiple tests on the same day/time.

Sounds like this type of thing would be better done in Microsoft Access.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back