WorksheetFunction.Match not working for numbers

Andrew1234

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi i have a piece of code that is not working correctly for numbers. it will work perfectly when the cell value has at least one letter in it, but if the cell value is only numbers it will not work.

I have a very limited understanding of VBA so any help at all is very much appreciated!

here is the code that am currently using.
VBA Code:
Dim TargetRow As Integer

TargetRow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Sheets("Engine").Range("B9").Value, Sheets("Product Data").Range("dyn_Product_Barcode"), 0)

Sheets("Engine").Range("B5") = TargetRow

Engine B9 show the last selected barcode. Engine B5 is meant to show the row that the selected barcode is in.

If there is no issue with the code i think think that my issue could be something to do with how my cell is formatted as when it is stored as a number the cell value is something like this ... 5.01102E+12
whereas when it is stored as text it will just show the barcode as it is ...5011020103539

Also... When i select a barcode that has only numbers i can see in my engine sheet that the value of B9 will be stored as a text even though it is a number.
Everytime i change the format of engine B9 to general but it always autochanges back to text when i select a new product from the list box. Could this be my issue?
Cell B9 is generated from a listbox within a userform. I have a search userform that i search for products on and then click the product i require then i can click an edit button. (the edit button is the one that has the .Match code in it)

There are many areas that could cause this issue so i am very grateful to anyone who takes the time to help me.

Many thanks in advance!
Andrew

Hi all,

I have news. So i have manually changed all cells that contain barcodes to be formatted for text. and also changed the .value to .text in the code above. Im very pleased to say that i have tested and it seems to be working correctly and now finding barcodes with number and barcodes with numbers and letters.

VBA Code:
Sheets("Product Data").Range("Data_start").Offset(TargetRow, 1).Value = AddProduct_UF.Txt_barcode.Text 'barcode

this is the code i have changed. So now when the barcode is being added to the product data sheet it is being added as a text not a number. which then allows the match function to find the data in the product data base.
Thanks to both @dmt32 and @Joe4 for all of your help this was very much appreciated.

The only minor issue i will have now is the error message that is visible when a number is stored as text. but i think there is maybe a way to ignore these errors ?
1683562594391.png

But even if there isn't my main object has been achieved. Many thanks to all!

Attachments

• 1683562546689.png
    1683562546689.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back