Would like to auto refresh (F9) or recalculate until a cell's value is zero

vannirae

Office Version
  1. 2010
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook that randomly selects a number out four sets of numbers; 1-6, 7-12, 13-18 & 19-24. The result is 1 number out of each group; such as.. 1,12,15,22 Each number is assigned a unique number. The unique numbers are summed and the cell containing the sum highlights if there is a duplicate set of numbers. The cells that are duplicates are counted with countif function. I'm looking for a way to auto refresh or auto recalculate until the cell that counts the duplicates is zero and then stop calculating. Is there a way to do this?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
with formulas like that in a worksheet, no, imossible.
You need VBA, to remember previous calculations.

Upvote 0
with formulas like that in a worksheet, no, imossible.
You need VBA, to remember previous calculations.
Could you’ll help me with a VBA code to recalculate all sheets until cell A1 is equal to zero and once A1 is equal to zero recalculation stops?

Upvote 0
first i have to understand the question.
The 4 randbetweens, no problem, but then ....
Map1
ABCDE
Blad1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1A1=RANDBETWEEN(1,6)
B1B1=RANDBETWEEN(7,12)
C1C1=RANDBETWEEN(13,18)
D1D1=RANDBETWEEN(19,24)

Upvote 0
first i have to understand the question.
The 4 randbetweens, no problem, but then ....
Map1
ABCDE
Blad1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1A1=RANDBETWEEN(1,6)
B1B1=RANDBETWEEN(7,12)
C1C1=RANDBETWEEN(13,18)
D1D1=RANDBETWEEN(19,24)
Ok let me see if I can explain this so it makes sense with some screen shots

1. Here is the rand(), that was easy.

1.png

2. Then each random number is assigned a unique number.

2.png

3. Then the random number is assigned a name.

3.png

4. The sum of the unique numbers is calculated. If more than 1 have the same sum, then it is a duplicate combination.

8.png

5. My sheet has calculates a total of 250 combinations. This is the only way I was able to figure out how to determine how many unique sums there were. I'm sure there is a better way.

4.png

6. Again, this is the best way I could figure to get to the number of duplicates. In the next 3 images, I add 250 to value in A9, subtract 10 in C9 (not sure why this is, but is only way I could get number of duplicate cells, then divided C9 value by 2. For some reason it works, D9 is how many name combinations have a duplicate.
5.png

6.png

7.png

7. I also have conditional formatting so if it is a duplicate, it is highlighted as shown below.

9.png

I currently press F9 to re-randomize or recalculate and the number of duplicates changes constantly. My goal is to have no duplicates. There is a possible 1296 combinations, so getting 250 unique is definitely possible. I get in the F9 pressing mode and a 0 duplicates comes up every so often, but since I am in the fast key pressing mode, I press again and lose it. I would like to have a code and assign it to an icon to click and it will recalculate until C9 is zero. Hope this helps explain better. Let me know if you need more info.

Upvote 0
you have 4 groups of 6 persons and each time you take 1 person of each group to make a new sample.
you want to do this 4 times and an already choosen person may not be selected a 2nd time.
Correct ?
2010 is your actual excel-version ?

Upvote 0
you have 4 groups of 6 persons and each time you take 1 person of each group to make a new sample.
you want to do this 4 times and an already choosen person may not be selected a 2nd time.
Correct ?
2010 is your actual excel-version ?
So yes. Each sample will have 1 of the 6 from each group of 4. Extracting 250 samples, so just do not want duplicate samples.

Upvote 0
you want 1 draw or you want 250 ?
VBA Code:
Sub Draw_4by4()
     Dim Result(1 To 4, 1 To 4), Rand, Persons

Persons = Range("A1").Resize(4, 6).Value                   'read the names of your 24 persons
     ReDim Rand(1 To UBound(Persons), 1 To UBound(Persons, 2))  'make the "Random" array, size equal to "persons"
     Randomize
     For i = 1 To UBound(Rand)
          For j = 1 To UBound(Rand, 2)
               Rand(i, j) = Rnd()                               'fill every element with a random value 0-1
          Next
     Next

For i = 1 To UBound(Result)                                'loop through the persons
          a = Application.Index(Rand, i, 0)                     'take a row from your RandomArray
          For j = 1 To UBound(Result, 2)                        'loop for 4 draws of a name in that group
               r = Application.Match(WorksheetFunction.Small(a, j), a, 0)     'position of the j-smallest number in that row
               Result(i, j) = Persons(i, r)                     'that random person
          Next
     Next

Range("A1").Offset(, 6).Resize(UBound(Result), UBound(Result, 2)).Value = Result     'write result to sheet
End Sub
Map1
ABCDEFGHIJ
1a1a2a3a4a5a6a2a5a3a4
2b1b2b3b4b5b6b3b6b4b5
3c1c2c3c4c5c6c2c3c1c5
4d1d2d3d4d5d6d4d5d6d2
Blad1

Upvote 0
you want 1 draw or you want 250 ?
VBA Code:
Sub Draw_4by4()
     Dim Result(1 To 4, 1 To 4), Rand, Persons

Persons = Range("A1").Resize(4, 6).Value                   'read the names of your 24 persons
     ReDim Rand(1 To UBound(Persons), 1 To UBound(Persons, 2))  'make the "Random" array, size equal to "persons"
     Randomize
               Rand(i, j) = Rnd()                               'fill every element with a random value 0-1
          Next
     Next

For i = 1 To UBound(Result)                                'loop through the persons
          a = Application.Index(Rand, i, 0)                     'take a row from your RandomArray
          For j = 1 To UBound(Result, 2)                        'loop for 4 draws of a name in that group
               r = Application.Match(WorksheetFunction.Small(a, j), a, 0)     'position of the j-smallest number in that row
               Result(i, j) = Persons(i, r)                     'that random person
          Next
     Next

Range("A1").Offset(, 6).Resize(UBound(Result), UBound(Result, 2)).Value = Result     'write result to sheet
End Sub
Map1
ABCDEFGHIJ
1a1a2a3a4a5a6a2a5a3a4
2b1b2b3b4b5b6b3b6b4b5
3c1c2c3c4c5c6c2c3c1c5
4d1d2d3d4d5d6d4d5d6d2
Blad1
250 draws with no duplicates

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub Draw_4by4()
     Dim Result(1 To 4, 1 To 4), Rand, Persons, Dict

Set Dict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")

Range("M1").EntireColumn.ClearContents

For ptr = 1 To 20000
          Randomize
                    Rand(i, j) = Rnd()                          'fill every element with a random value 0-1
               Next
          Next

For i = 1 To UBound(Result)                           'loop through the persons
               a = Application.Index(Rand, i, 0)                'take a row from your RandomArray
               For j = 1 To UBound(Result, 2)                   'loop for 4 draws of a name in that group
                    R = Application.Match(WorksheetFunction.Small(a, j), a, 0)     'position of the j-smallest number in that row
                    Result(i, j) = Persons(i, R)                'that random person
               Next
          Next

With Range("AA1").Resize(4, 2)
               .Value = Application.Transpose(Application.Index(Result, 1, 0))
               .Offset(, 1).Resize(, 1).Value = [row(1:4)]
               .Sort .Range("A1"), Header:=xlNo
               x = Application.Transpose(.Offset(, 1).Resize(, 1).Value)
          End With

s = ""
          For i = 1 To UBound(x)
               s = s & "|" & Join(Application.Transpose(Application.Index(Result, 0, x(i))), ";")
          Next
          s = Mid(s, 2)
          If Not Dict.exists(s) Then
               Dict(s) = s
               Range("M1").Offset(, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = Array(ptr, Dict.Count, ptr - Dict.Count)
               If Dict.Count >= 250 Then Exit For
          End If
     Next

With Range("M1")
          .Resize(Dict.Count).Value = Application.Transpose(Dict.keys)
          .EntireColumn.AutoFit
          .Offset(, 1).Resize(, 2).Value = Array(ptr, Dict.Count)
     End With

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back