Would like to auto refresh (F9) or recalculate until a cell's value is zero

vannirae

Office Version
  1. 2010
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook that randomly selects a number out four sets of numbers; 1-6, 7-12, 13-18 & 19-24. The result is 1 number out of each group; such as.. 1,12,15,22 Each number is assigned a unique number. The unique numbers are summed and the cell containing the sum highlights if there is a duplicate set of numbers. The cells that are duplicates are counted with countif function. I'm looking for a way to auto refresh or auto recalculate until the cell that counts the duplicates is zero and then stop calculating. Is there a way to do this?

VBA Code:
Sub Draw_4by4()
     Dim Result(1 To 4, 1 To 4), Rand, Persons, Dict

Set Dict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")

Persons = Range("A1").Resize(4, 6).Value                   'read the names of your 24 persons
     ReDim Rand(1 To UBound(Persons), 1 To UBound(Persons, 2))  'make the "Random" array, size equal to "persons"
     Range("M1").EntireColumn.ClearContents

For ptr = 1 To 20000
          Randomize
          For i = 1 To UBound(Rand)
               For j = 1 To UBound(Rand, 2)
                    Rand(i, j) = Rnd()                          'fill every element with a random value 0-1
               Next
          Next

For i = 1 To UBound(Result)                           'loop through the persons
               a = Application.Index(Rand, i, 0)                'take a row from your RandomArray
               For j = 1 To UBound(Result, 2)                   'loop for 4 draws of a name in that group
                    R = Application.Match(WorksheetFunction.Small(a, j), a, 0)     'position of the j-smallest number in that row
                    Result(i, j) = Persons(i, R)                'that random person
               Next
          Next

With Range("AA1").Resize(4, 2)
               .Value = Application.Transpose(Application.Index(Result, 1, 0))
               .Offset(, 1).Resize(, 1).Value = [row(1:4)]
               .Sort .Range("A1"), Header:=xlNo
               x = Application.Transpose(.Offset(, 1).Resize(, 1).Value)
          End With

s = ""
          For i = 1 To UBound(x)
               s = s & "|" & Join(Application.Transpose(Application.Index(Result, 0, x(i))), ";")
          Next
          s = Mid(s, 2)
          If Not Dict.exists(s) Then
               Dict(s) = s
               Range("M1").Offset(, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = Array(ptr, Dict.Count, ptr - Dict.Count)
               If Dict.Count >= 250 Then Exit For
          End If
         Range("A1").Offset(, 6).Resize(UBound(Result), UBound(Result, 2)).Value = Result     'write result to sheet
     Next

With Range("M1")
          .Resize(Dict.Count).Value = Application.Transpose(Dict.keys)
          .EntireColumn.AutoFit
          .Offset(, 1).Resize(, 2).Value = Array(ptr, Dict.Count)
     End With

End Sub
I am unsure how to make this work with my page. Can I send the file to you and you can add it?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
an adapted macro example file
VBA Code:
Public Const iDrawings = 250

Sub Draw_4by4()
     Dim Result(1 To 4, 1 To 4), Rand, Persons, Dict

Set Dict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")            'prepare the dictionary (to avoid duplicates)
     Application.ScreenUpdating = False
     t = Timer
     '**************************************
     'Where is my data located ?   ----> CHANGE HERE
     '**************************************
     Set c1 = Range("A1")                                       'topleftcell with the names of your 24 persons
     Set c2 = Range("AA1").Resize(4, 2)                         '8 auxiliary cells for alphabetic sorting the 1st group
     Set c3 = Range("AD3")                                      '1st cell where you write the unique combinations

Persons = c1.Resize(4, 6).Value                            'read the names of your 24 persons 4*6
     ReDim Rand(1 To UBound(Persons), 1 To UBound(Persons, 2))  'make the "Random" array, size equal to "persons"
     c3.Resize(Rows.Count - c3.Row + 1, 20).ClearContents       'clear content of previous result

For ptr = 1 To 1000                                        '1,000 loops (exagerated)
          Application.StatusBar = "loop   " & ptr: DoEvents
     ' take 24 random numbers between 0 and 1 in an array of 4*6
          Randomize                                             'better random result
          For i = 1 To UBound(Rand)
               For j = 1 To UBound(Rand, 2)
                    Rand(i, j) = Rnd()                          'fill every element with a random value 0-1
               Next
          Next

'in a group of 6 persons, take random 4 persons without repetition = find the position of the first 4 smallest values
          For i = 1 To UBound(Result)                           'loop through the 4 groups
               a = Application.Index(Rand, i, 0)                'take a row from your RandomArray (= 6 random number of the 6 persons in a group)
               For j = 1 To UBound(Result, 2)                   'loop for 4 draws of a name in that group
                    R = Application.Match(WorksheetFunction.Small(a, j), a, 0)     'position of the j-smallest number in that row
                    Result(i, j) = Persons(i, R)                'that random person
               Next
          Next

'***********************************************
     '1st update to the worksheet : the 16 names without duplicates
     '************************************************
          c1.Offset(, 6).Resize(UBound(Result), UBound(Result, 2)).Value = Result     'write result to sheet just aside the 24 names

'*************************************************************************************************************
     'to check if the found combination is unique and not a rotation of a previous draw, sort the 1st group alphabetic and join then the names in a string
     'if that string is unique (=doesn't exisit in the dictionary) then the draw is unique
     '*************************************************************************************************************
          With c2
               .Value = Application.Transpose(Application.Index(Result, 1, 0))     'the 4 drawn names of group1
               .Offset(, 1).Resize(, 1).Value = [row(1:4)]      'numbers 1-4
               .Sort .Range("A1"), Header:=xlNo                 'sort the names alphabetic
               x = Application.Transpose(.Offset(, 1).Resize(, 1).Value)     'read the result in array x
          End With
          s1 = "": s2 = ""                                      'start with 2 empty strings, the 1st is sorted for the dictionary (better check on duplicates), the 2nd is unsorted for the sheet
          For i = 1 To UBound(x)
               s1 = s1 & "|" & Join(Application.Transpose(Application.Index(Result, 0, x(i))), "|")     'sorted
               s2 = s2 & "|" & Join(Application.Transpose(Application.Index(Result, 0, i)), "|")     'unsorted
          Next
          s1 = Mid(s1, 2): s2 = Mid(s2, 2)                      'delete the leading "|"
          If Not Dict.exists(s) Then                            'combination is unique, was almost certain !!! there are too much combinations, the chance of a duplicate is almost 0.
               Dict(s1) = s1                                    'add to dictionary
               c3.Offset(Rows.Count - c3.Row).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Value = s2     'write the unsorted string to the sheet
               If Dict.Count >= iDrawings Then Exit For         '250 unique drawns found = stop loop
          End If
     Next

'********************************
     'split the found solution into individual cells
     '********************************
     With c3.Resize(iDrawings)                                  'your 250 drawns
          Application.DisplayAlerts = False
          .TextToColumns .Range("b1"), xlDelimited, xlDoubleQuote, False, False, False, False, False, other:=True, OtherChar:="|"     'split on the "|"-character
          Application.DisplayAlerts = True
          .Resize(, 17).EntireColumn.AutoFit                    'adjust columnwidth
     End With

Application.StatusBar = "l"
     'MsgBox Timer - t'read chronometer

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back