wrapping text issue

lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I have some issue with wrapping text. In the sheet below. Cell B7 has 5 lines. When I resize column B (make it wider). I will still have 5 lines and each line will have more white spaces. Why is that? why some text form the second line join the first line to fill the white space? Also cell B4, when I make column B narrower (reduce the width), I will lose most of the text except the last word.

I would appreciate if you can have a look and tell me what is the issue and how to fix it. Thank you so much

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IraJ7LB1mcy2X-_vRNJPUVRHXsVdFNrO/view?usp=sharing

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
if you have copied this info from somewhere (e.g. HTML file or some web page) you have picked up a special character used in the text - EN SPACE.
https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2002/index.htm
UTF-16 (Unicode) : 8194
It is not a paragraph mark , but will not allow lines to wrap as you would expect in B7. It seems that there is space between the words, but it is treated as one long word and is only wrapped if the text is too long for one line. Copy the text and paste it in notepad to see the positions of the en-spaces.
In B4 there is no such thing. The spaces are normal. However to actually show the complete text in the cell with wrapping you have to change the cell height along with the width. This happens automatically only after cell contents update (enter the cell in edit mode then press enter). The other way is to fit the cell height after changing the width. You only see the last word because the cell vertical alignment is set to bottom (if you set it to top you will only see the first word).

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your help. Do you know what is the code of EN-Space. I can use =substitute() to replace it with a regular space. Thank you.

Upvote 0
if you read my post just below the link it says : 8194
you can also see it on the web if you follow the link in my previous post.
so you can use:
Code:
UNICHAR(8194)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back