WWII IBM POW punch card dates

John Duresky

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to convert dates from post-WWII IBM punch cards which gave the dates when men were captured after the fall of Bataan and Corregidor. These were punched in as five-digit codes as Day Month Year. In an Excel spreadsheet I have, those POWs show for example 09042 which signifies April 9, 1942, the day Bataan fell, or e.g., 13124 which would be December 13, 1944, the day a pilot may have been captured. I need a formula which gives these in Excel date format which somehow adds 194 to that last single digit for the year, and also in American Month Day Year format. Unless we can convert those five-digit codes to an Excel date format we have no good way of sorting that column by date. Incidentally, it contains the names of 46,209 men taken prisoner during WWII in the Pacific, and of those about 40% died as POWs. I'm the main researcher for the book we published in August last year which details the life of La Crosse, WI native, Army 1st Lt Chester K Britt, and the men he served with, titled RELENTLESS HOPE - A True Story of War and Survival, by David L Britt (youngest son of Chester) with John Duresky (myself) and Vickie Graham ISBN 978-1-09838-539-2 Chester was on the Bataan Death March and much more as a POW. Thanks, John

Attachments

• POW capture date.jpg
    POW capture date.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Welcome to the Board!

Can you tell us how the values in column F are currently formatted?
They appear to be right-justified without comments, suggesting that they are actually entered as numbers.
But numbers would not show leading zeroes without a special format.
So we just want to see what format is currently being used.

Alternatively, they could also be dates with a special date format.

Lastly, and most unlikely, they could be text (string) entries.

Knowing the exact format of the data is important in devising a solution to work for you. We could "guess", but we might guess wrong.

Upvote 0
Set up as Custom Number with a leading zero. Original list might have had for example 9042 so changed to be five wide in 00000 format to add the leading zero for day so gives any day from 01 to 31

Upvote 0
James,

That formula does not handle the blank and "00000" entries he shows in cells F2 and F3 correctly. I think you need to add an IF statement in there.
1678455048677.png

Here is the formula that I came up with that should handle all those cases:
Excel Formula:
=IF(F2>0,DATE("194"&RIGHT(F2,1),MID(TEXT(F2,"00000"),3,2),LEFT(TEXT(F2,"00000"),2)),"")

Upvote 0
Solution
Plugged that in to row 2 and dragged it down. Doesn't seem to work, see attached screen capture

Attachments

• POW capture date 3.jpg
    POW capture date 3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
Plugged that in to row 2 and dragged it down. Doesn't seem to work, see attached screen capture
That is working - you need to now choose a Date format for that column!

It is important to note how Excel stores dates. It stores them as numbers, namely the number of days since 1/0/1900.
So dates are really just number with special date formats.

Choose your desired date format for that column, and you should see that it is working.

Upvote 0
Bingo. Works perfectly, thanks very much. The late 1Lt Chester K Britt and the men and women he served with and I thank you.

Attachments

• POW capture date 4.jpg
    POW capture date 4.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Britt-Chester-92nd-Coast-Artillery-Philippine-Scouts_tribute.jpg
    Britt-Chester-92nd-Coast-Artillery-Philippine-Scouts_tribute.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
You are welcome.
We are glad we could help!

Upvote 0
I changed the solution to the thread which actually contained the formulas that converted the data. That is the key to the solution.
The formatting is just how you want to present the results.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danni317

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back