XenForo

Let me share my thoughts on this "copy & paste & Edge issue" (and also Safari in Mac as it acts like Edge) - as I can understand what/how it is happening.

When the editor is BB Code toggled on, it is basically not using JavaScript but only an ordinary text box (TEXTAREA element actually). So if what you have in clipboard has partial text, only the text content will be pasted and the rest will be ignored as it won't be able to be processed as a clipboard data object. This is for sure. Pasting on Toggle On mode will absolutely not work.

When you switch toggle off, it is kind of WYSIWYG rich text box powered by JavaScript (it is actually not even a text box but a DIV wrapper in this mode). So pasted content (clipboard data) can be detected and processed as a table (or image, plain text...), and resulted with necessary tags to generate an HTML table what we see in Chrome and FireFox. This is done by the editor's JavaScript functions (similar to VBA's DataObject and GetFromClipboard / GetText method instead it is getting more information that is not revealed by VBA functions).

About Edge acting different than Chrome and FireFox - it should be about how Edge understands copied Excel object in clipboard, so it takes it as an image since the editor has no other option as it can't read that info as table by using the same JavaScript functions. Complicated, right? It is to me but it also makes sense as all browsers have their JavaScript engine and they simply don’t act same for everything even with same function names. Of course third party editor is considering this and even using different functions by detecting the browser but in this case, it doesn't look it is completely working.

In Edge, Excel range must be being considered somehow different, and the relying third party editor likely couldn’t have found a solution to make this work. I debugged its code partially without going too much detail and it is definitely taking the pasted data as image/png in Edge.

However, if you copy and paste the range into Word and then copy the just pasted table in Word and paste into editor then it will do it right. This tells me that clipboard data coming from Word can be understood by the editor in Edge.

I will check this at the editor side for further info - this is my quick response so far as much as in my understanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back