XL2002 ONLY: displays "0", not "FALSE"; overridable?

Gates Is Antichrist

I wish to display the word TRUE or FALSE rather than 1 or 0. Formatting as general or as text is not helping. Anyone know the trick to this, or what I might be doing to cause this? Has someone found an Option for displaying this?
TIA

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Where are you trying to display these items..as a result of formula, test of numbers???

A little more info may help

pll

Upvote 0
On 2002-10-24 17:15, plettieri wrote:
Where are you trying to display these items..as a result of formula, test of numbers???

A little more info may help

pll

Do you have 2002?

Type
=false
in A1. Set B1=A1. Either way I get 0.
Sorry to be a smartass, but since you used 3 question marks (LOL) - WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!

Maybe this will be helpful: This has to do with the logical value FALSE, not the string "FALSE" ... because Excel is translating it to 0.

If you know a way under any circumstance to make 2002 display FALSE instead of 0, I'm all ears.

lenze:
Your response is useful, even though you're unable to test this in 2002. I hoped for something a little less awkward, but thank you for the suggestion, which should get me rolling at least.

Upvote 0
I've just found the opposite behavior in another sheet...on IT, if you enter =false in a cell, it displays FALSE. This is also the case on a fresh sheet.

So ... any clue as to what may causing my first sheet to show 0? Clear ALL didn't help either.

This happens to be the top row (row 1) of a column of numbers - could it be that Excel is trying to imitate the rest of the column's format? You know, he sometimes likes to guess column heading formats like bold and underline based on adjacent columns; but I've always been able to undo his format choices -- unlike my current problem, where I can only see the zero instead of FALSE.

Upvote 0
Hello
Gates Is Antichrist
Board Master

I have excel 2002 excel running on o/s win98.

Test1
I tested you query with the results on exising worksheets that have data and upon entering =false in cell A1 with B1 set = to A1.... the results 0 and 0.

Test2
I tested same into a new worksheet of the same workbook, I was obtained the results FALSE and FALSE.

Test3
I tested same into a new fresh new worksheet of fresh wookbook and I received the results FALSE and FALSE.

Test4
I opened a new workbook, entered some text, numbers, and dates --saved the file, reopened it and was able to get the FALSE FALSE results

I tried various option toggles, tried various cell format options...and could not change the results form those noted above.

I had an initial thought that maybe it had to the version that the file was saved under. (as I have various saved file versions) but no...no difference.

Hope this helps.

Want me to try some other checks?

pll
This message was edited by plettieri on 2002-10-24 20:53

Upvote 0
Thank you for all that effort - and for being the only one to confirm the behavior (which is quite disappointing ... perhaps XL2002 is not widespread enough).

This is mysterious. I hope the right person sees this to explain it. Thanks for offering to test more, but methinks the key is figuring out how to alter the result you have in Test 1.

Upvote 0
Click on the Tools | Options... menu command's Transition tab. Is the "Transition formula evaluation" option checked? If so, uncheck it.

Upvote 0
On 2002-10-25 12:51, Mark W. wrote:
Click on the Tools | Options... menu command's Transition tab. Is the "Transition formula evaluation" option checked? If so, uncheck it.
Ah, sanity prevails! That's exactly it.

This was all the more valuable because AFAICT the only built-in help on "transition" is weak, and buried in "Enter and evaluate formulas with Lotus 1-2-3 rules."

IOW I don't know if I would have ever figured this out w/o your help. Thanks very much.

Upvote 0
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q61941&
is the best source I found explaining the "transition" options, which deals with Lotus vs. Excel treatments. The article suggests that this has been there all the way back to Excel version 2.0.

In my case, I have a file that sometime way back, even under an earlier Excel version, must have been imported from Lotus. That must have set the "transition evaluation" flag, and no one noticed it until now (w/ Mark W.'s help :) ).

I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time pointing out dated and lamely elementary information. It's the first time I've seen it, so I thought I'd just pass it along. I guess I never really "transitioned" from 1-2-3 to Excel; I've just jumped back and forth from time to time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back