smozgur

XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode 2.1

No permission to download
My XL2BB tab shows up in the ribbon at the end. I can copy ranges. However I cannot customize it in the ribbon to move it around. It is unblocked. Any ideas?
The XL2BB Excel add-in is a standard add-in instead of a Visual Studio COM add-in to make it available in Mac and also avoid extra runtime libraries that the client machine might need to download and install to run it. Therefore, its custom ribbon tab is document-level customization, so I don't know if it is even possible to control it in the ribbon customization dialog. That's the reason we located it after all other tabs.

However, one possible workaround to place the XL2BB ribbon tab after or before a certain tab, for example, Home tab, then you can open the xl2bb.xlam file as an archive (by using an application like 7-Zip to make it easy - remember to quit Excel), and edit the \customUI\customUI14.xml file to add the insertAfterMso attribute as shown below:

XML:
<tab id="tabXL2BB" label="Xl2bb" keytip="X" insertAfterMso="TabHome">

This will create the XL2BB ribbon tab after the Home tab.

This is the only way (actually, workaround) that I can think of.

Note: I am moving your post to the XL2BB discussion. Maybe other members following this thread might know other ways, or this workaround might help others as well.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
The XL2BB Excel add-in is a standard add-in instead of a Visual Studio COM add-in to make it available in Mac and also avoid extra runtime libraries that the client machine might need to download and install to run it. Therefore, its custom ribbon tab is document-level customization, so I don't know if it is even possible to control it in the ribbon customization dialog. That's the reason we located it after all other tabs.

However, one possible workaround to place the XL2BB ribbon tab after or before a certain tab, for example, Home tab, then you can open the xl2bb.xlam file as an archive (by using an application like 7-Zip to make it easy - remember to quit Excel), and edit the \customUI\customUI14.xml file to add the insertAfterMso attribute as shown below:

XML:
<tab id="tabXL2BB" label="Xl2bb" keytip="X" insertAfterMso="TabHome">

This will create the XL2BB ribbon tab after the Home tab.

This is the only way (actually, workaround) that I can think of.

Note: I am moving your post to the XL2BB discussion. Maybe other members following that thread might know other ways, or this workaround might help others as well.
Thanks for the reply. It's not a huge deal to me. I wasn't sure if it was it was a result of how it was made or if it was a bug. That's why I posted my previous comment.

If it helps others, that's great.

The square bracket '[' is causing some problem with the message body and with xl2bb.
'' <-- Also, here I typed '[ I ]' here without the space in between the square brackets but all you will see now is ''

Occasionally, if the first cell in my selection contains a square bracket '[' then xl2bb does not show the data properly.
For example, this works ?

Book1.xlsx
AB
1(I) Loan 'Installment' dates :
2Loan Date : 29-Feb-16
3Loan Tenure : 9
4Installment Frequency : Qtrly
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5B5=IF(B4="Monthly",1,IF(B4="Qtrly",3,IF(B4="Half-Yrly",6,IF(B4="Yearly",12,"-"))))
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B3Whole number>0
B4ListMonthly,Qtrly,Half-Yrly,Yearly

but this does not ?,I added a space and a special character before '[', but it still failed
Book1.xlsx
AB
1 Loan 'Installment' dates :
Sheet1
[XD=cls:bb][/XD] [XR][XH]2[/XH][XD=fw:b|ch:15|cls:br]Loan Date : [/XD][XD=bc:FFFFCC|cls:bl bt br bb|tx:42429]29-Feb-16[/XD][/XR][XR][XH]3[/XH][XD=fw:b|ch:17.25|cls:br]Loan Tenure : [/XD][XD=fw:b|bc:FFFFCC|c:0000FF|fz:12.5pt|cls:bl bt bb]9[/XD][/XR][XR][XH]4[/XH][XD=fw:b|ch:15|cls:br]Installment Frequency : [/XD][XD=h:c|fw:b|bc:FFFFCC|c:0000FF|cls:bl bt br bb]Qtrly[/XD][/XR][XR][XH]5[/XH][XD=ch:15][/XD][XD=h:c|cls:fx bt]3[/XD][/XR]
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5B5=IF(B4="Monthly",1,IF(B4="Qtrly",3,IF(B4="Half-Yrly",6,IF(B4="Yearly",12,"-"))))
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B3Whole number>0
B4ListMonthly,Qtrly,Half-Yrly,Yearly

two more results:
I changed the
text to 'A [ I ] Loan Installment Dates:' without the space between the sq. brackets, but it still failed
Book1.xlsx
A
1A Loan 'Installment' dates :
Sheet1
[XR][XH]2[/XH][XD=fw:b|ch:15|cls:br]Loan Date : [/XD][/XR][XR][XH]3[/XH][XD=fw:b|ch:17.25|cls:br]Loan Tenure : [/XD][/XR]

however the following text worked 'I [Loan] Installment Dates:'
Book1.xlsx
A
1I [Loan] 'Installment' dates :
2Loan Date :
3Loan Tenure :
Sheet1

fyi, in the above post, in the second xl2bb example, I simply changed the curved brackets to square brackets.

Existing BB Code tags, such as [B],[I],[U],[S] that don't require any parameters, conflict with the XL2BB mini-sheet code, and render how they are defined. So, there is not an easy workaround at the addon level to avoid this behavior other than avoiding these values in the source cells in the first place OR using apace before, after, or both sides of the tag letter like [ I], [I ] or [ I ].

Hi, I am new to this site and to this tool. I just wanted to mention that for Windows 10 (for the following version of Office), I had trouble following the installation instructions. I eventually found out that if I put xl2bb.xlam here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Library, then I was able to follow the rest of the instructions.

"
  • Launch Excel, click the File tab, click Options, and then click the Add-Ins category.
  • In the Manage box, click Excel Add-ins, and then click Go. The Add-Ins dialog box appears.
  • Click the Browse button to locate the add-in, and then click OK."

(Just giving a viewpoint from a newcomer.)

My Version.PNG

Hi smozgur,

Perhaps I'm missing it but do you have installation instructions for Mac please?

Thanks!
Darryl

Hi smozgur,

Perhaps I'm missing it but do you have installation instructions for Mac please?

Thanks!
Darryl
I figured it out.
Excel Tools > Add-ins > Browse (find the unzipped copy of the file)
Then find XL2BB can be seen above the ribbon.
All good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back