Sulprobil

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Named ranges were missing in my XL2BB capture range, Mini Sheet -
XL2BB v2.0 bug: Named ranges not listed in Capture Range, Mini Sheet of German Excel Version of Microsoft Office LTSC Professional Plus 2021, Version 2108 (Build 14332.20204).

See thread Confusion Of Join Method, please.
And: just retested here:

I am happy to send you the file, too.

Regards,
Bernd

Hello Bernd,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Is it only that specific Excel file or named ranges never listed in your mini-sheets?
Is it possible that you don't have the Named Ranges option checked?
1641487169313.png

That would be helpful to identify the problem if you could upload the sample file to the cloud. If you can't then please let me know, so I can start a conversation with you.
(There is no way to test on the German version for me but it shouldn't be a language-specific problem anyway.)

Note: Edited the thread title to keep it shorter since the issue is already explained in the post in detail.

Thank you.

I tested the workbook in Excel 365 and XL2BB works as it is supposed to be.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1:J10A1=ROW() & "|" & COLUMN()
B14B14=TEXTJOIN2019(",",FALSE,ThreeByThreeByThree TwoByTwoByFive)
B15B15=TEXTJOIN(",",FALSE,ThreeByThreeByThree TwoByTwoByFive)
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
ThreeByThreeByThree=Sheet1!$A$1:$C$3,Sheet1!$D$4:$F$6,Sheet1!$G$7:$I$9B14:B15
TwoByTwoByFive=Sheet1!$A$1:$B$2,Sheet1!$C$3:$D$4,Sheet1!$E$5:$F$6,Sheet1!$G$7:$H$8,Sheet1!$I$9:$J$10B14:B15

It is unlikely, but maybe the option box is stuck for some reason and the associated Office registry value is always False. Could you please try the following?
  • Uncheck the Named Ranges option
  • Quit Excel
  • Launch Excel and verify that the option is still unchecked (let me know if it is not)
  • Check the option and retry the mini-sheet to see if it will work
* If you'd like to use the Immediate Window in VBE, then you can use the following one-liner to get the current value of the setting to avoid open/close Excel:
VBA Code:
print GetSetting("xl2bb", "options", "extra_nr")

Thanks.

It took some time but I think I identified the problem. It looks to be a bug in VBA when you have the semicolon as the list separator (language-specific).

I changed my regional format to use the semicolon instead of comma as the list separator, then I have the same problem.

It can be reproduced by using the following line in debug window when your workbook is open.
VBA Code:
print Activeworkbook.Names("ThreeByThreeByThree").RefersToRange.Address

This should return the name's range address. However, if you have a regional format that has the semicolon as the list separator, and the named range contains multiple areas, then the RefersToRange property returns an error although it is still a perfectly valid range.

If you change the regional format in Windows settings to another format that uses comma as the list separator and reopen the Excel then it will work without problems.
(I am not suggesting changing your settings to use XL2BB but just to explain the problem).
1641496806450.png

I don't know if this is a known bug but obviously, there is something wrong with a property of the name object in different regional format settings. I might consider reporting this to Microsoft. I don't think I will hear about it for a long time if it is a real bug but at least I can hear if it is not a bug and something that I might be missing.

XL2BB depends on the RefersToRange property to generate the named ranges table and it won't be able to access the named ranges where this function fails due to this possible bug.

Thanks again for reporting the issue and also your help.

Hello again,
When I switched my Windows 11 region format to English (Great Britain) it worked fine:
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1:J10A1=ROW() & "|" & COLUMN()
B14B14=TEXTJOIN2019(",",FALSE,ThreeByThreeByThree TwoByTwoByFive)
B15B15=TEXTJOIN(",",FALSE,ThreeByThreeByThree TwoByTwoByFive)
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
ThreeByThreeByThree=Sheet1!$A$1:$C$3,Sheet1!$D$4:$F$6,Sheet1!$G$7:$I$9B14:B15
TwoByTwoByFive=Sheet1!$A$1:$B$2,Sheet1!$C$3:$D$4,Sheet1!$E$5:$F$6,Sheet1!$G$7:$H$8,Sheet1!$I$9:$J$10B14:B15

But: AFAIK there is no VBA involved.

Thanks and regards,
Bernd

But: AFAIK there is no VBA involved.

Yes, it is entirely VBA-related as I tried to explain. RefersToRange method fails on multi-area ranges if the list separator is semicolon - ";" - as used in =SUM(1;2) instead of =SUM(1,2). XL2BB add-in is using the RefersToRange method to analyze the names in the workbook. So, if you have a regional format that the list separator is semicolon, and the named range consists of multiple areas, then XL2BB fails because the RefersToRange VBA method fails. Hope it makes sense.

Thanks for testing and confirming.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back