XLOOKUP not returning value

Gwill1983

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

having real trouble with a lookup not returning a value. I have checked the format of related columns and all are set to number.
I believe the lookup ref is the problem as this is originating from a formula (A3&V3) to combine 2 other numbers to give the row a unique reference. This is in column Y.
If I copy and paste the results in as values then I get the option within the cell to convert the text to a number. As soon as I do this the lookup works perfectly!
does anybody have any idea how I can set this column so that this data is stored as a number with the formula still being used?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
It would help if you provided a snapshot of your data (using XL2BB!!) and where the problem is and what you expect as a result.
Since you indicate it's XLOOKUP, I suppose you run 365. It would be helpful if you added that information to your profile.

Upvote 0
Other possible solution is to turn your lookup value as text using the following formula.

=XLOOKUP(TEXT(G2,"000"),C:C,D:D)

1623624987122.png

Kind regards

Saba

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

You have given us very little to go on but given this ..
a formula (A3&V3) to combine 2 other numbers
.. what happens if instead of A3&V3 you use (A3&V3)+0

Upvote 0
Solution
It would help if you provided a snapshot of your data (using XL2BB!!) and where the problem is and what you expect as a result.
Since you indicate it's XLOOKUP, I suppose you run 365. It would be helpful if you added that information to your profile.
Sorry. Didn’t realise this was there to be updated. I will try my best to upload some data, but the content is sensitive. I am on 365 and have updated my profile.

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

You have given us very little to go on but given this ..

.. what happens if instead of A3&V3 you use (A3&V3)+0
Apologies. I have updated this now.
I will give that a go and let you know if it works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back