1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
  4. 2011
  5. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I don't know I can't get this formula to work. This is doing an XLOOKUP against another file, to return the "Title" if there is one, and if the field is BLANK, then it returns "Review." However, if the person does not exist on the source file, it is coming back as an error "N/A" - Instead of the error, I am want it to come back blank, but not sure why my formula isn't work.

I started with an IF statement with the XLOOKUP to return the title from the source file, then if it was blank, it will return a "Review" - then I added that if it's an ERROR (because there is no data in the source) that it would return BLANK, but it keeps returning the error "#N/A." What am I doing wrong with the formula?

FORMULA:

=IF(XLOOKUP(B4,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$B:$B,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$AD:$AD)="","Review",IFERROR(XLOOKUP(B4,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$B:$B,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$AD:$AD),""))

1674712725047.png

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
If the first part returns an error then it will not look at the second part. You need to error trap the while thing. I've used LET as well to remove the need fire processing the lookup twice.

Excel Formula:
=LET(x,XLOOKUP(B4,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$B:$B,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$AD:$AD),IFERROR(IF(x="","REVIEW",x),""))

Upvote 0
Solution
If the first part returns an error then it will not look at the second part. You need to error trap the while thing. I've used LET as well to remove the need fire processing the lookup twice.

Excel Formula:
=LET(x,XLOOKUP(B4,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$B:$B,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$AD:$AD),IFERROR(IF(x="","REVIEW",x),""))

Thank you! I have never used the LET formula. I will have to learn that. When I bring down the formula to the bottom (so that it automatically populates when I enter new data), it all change to "REVIEW." Is there a fix for that? There is no LOOKUP value when I drag it all the way down, so that is probably why, but not sure why REVIEW would return though.

1674721758015.png

Upvote 0
I don't personally use XLOOKUP so can't say for certain but it is possible that the empty cell for the lookup valuec is being matched to the empty cells at the bottle of the lookup column.

Simple fix here is to check if B4 is empty first.
Excel Formula:
=IF(B4="","",LET(x,XLOOKUP(B4,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$B:$B,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$AD:$AD),IFERROR(IF(x="","REVIEW",x),"")))

Upvote 0
I don't personally use XLOOKUP so can't say for certain but it is possible that the empty cell for the lookup valuec is being matched to the empty cells at the bottle of the lookup column.

Simple fix here is to check if B4 is empty first.
Excel Formula:
=IF(B4="","",LET(x,XLOOKUP(B4,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$B:$B,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$AD:$AD),IFERROR(IF(x="","REVIEW",x),"")))

Thank you so much! I will try that. I think that is going to be the solution. Appreciate your expertise so much!

Upvote 0
When I add the =IF(B4="","" to the front, I get an error. Is it in the wrong position? I can't seem to get it to work. :(

Upvote 0
Did you put the extra closing bracket at the end as well?

Upvote 0
Did you put the extra closing bracket at the end as well?

I wrote it as follows:

Then tried:

=IF(B4="",""),LET(x,XLOOKUP(B4,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$B:$B,'[Promotion Recommendations -Final.xlsx]Promo Recommendations'!$AD:$AD),IFERROR(IF(x="","REVIEW",x),"")))

Upvote 0
First one looks correct, what error are you getting?

Upvote 0
First one looks correct, what error are you getting?

I was missing ONE closed parenthesis at the end. I must have copied it incorrectly. Thank you so much! You ROCK!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back