Xlookup

Jimbomack

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a table of data that contains three columns. One column contains a list of 18 names. The other 2 columns contain a date (month/year) and an income value. The entire table consists of these 18 records repeating for each month/year from April2017 to date. Each month, a new set of 18 records is added to the end of the table of data, using the same names, but with different incomes.

I want to pivot the data to create a new table that displays dates down the left-hand side, names across the top, and incomes with the table.

I can use a pivot table however, I need to perform subsequent calculations (division) on this new table set, with another table set of the same size, and I don’t know how (if it’s even possible) to link two pivot tables. Instead of using pivot tables, I find it easier to use two Excel tables that automatically update as data is added.

I have tried to use Xlookup to “pivot” the original table of data into the desired new table format, but I cannot figure out the formula that I assume would use a couple of nested xlookups, one for the date and one for the name.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim
table.jpg

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Lookup functions are nor really suitable for this, something like this should work. As the rows are banded, I've assumed that your source data is in a table, which is much easier for making it dynamic.
Book1 (version 2).xlsb
ABCDEFGH
1Month/YearIncomeNametomharryjane
2Apr-17$ 37,035.00tomApr-17$ 37,035.00$ 38,783.00$ 74,937.00
3Apr-17$ 38,783.00harryMay-17$ 10,746.00$ 80,122.00$ 17,365.00
4Apr-17$ 74,937.00jane
5May-17$ 10,746.00tom
6May-17$ 17,365.00jane
7May-17$ 80,122.00harry
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1:H1F1=TRANSPOSE(UNIQUE(Table1[Name]))
E2:E3E2=UNIQUE(Table1[Month/Year])
F2:H3F2=SUMIFS(Table1[Income],Table1[Month/Year],E2#,Table1[Name],F1#)
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your quick response and guidance. My tables are a little more complex than what I provided, (Many additional columns), so I'll need to play with your ideas for a bit, but I think your direction will be very helpful. (Probably your third example will work best) I've spent hours trying to get lookups to work.
Thx again.
Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back