.xlsb file opened in Excel 2003

mikeymay

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a template file that I would like 2003 users to be able to open as a .xlsb file that gets converted upon opening.

When the file is opened in 2003 I get a warning message about named ranges and/or ranges going beyond 2003's capabilities but upon checking the ranges there is nothing in the Name Manager list of named ranges that go beyond column IV or row 65536.

Currently the file is saved as a .xls via 2007 and when opened in 2003 I don't get any issues, but if saved as a .xlsb file via 2007, the error messgae is displayed when it is then opened in 2003.

I need to save as a .xlsb to reduce the file size (6.5mb as .xls v 700ish k in .xlsb).

Thanks

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
How do you do that?

The only option for any type of Binary file in the file type list saves the file as .xlsb....?

Upvote 0
You can't save it as an xlb file.

If your users have the compatibility pack installed (and so can open the xlsb in Excel 2003) what is the problem? Just ignore the warnings.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I can't just ask the users to ignore the warning as it's going out to about 220 users, some of which will panic at the sight of a warning message no matter how much you tell them to ignore it and email/call me every month asking if it's OK to use.

Also, I would prefer to send out a file that 'works' as I wouldn't like to receive a file that straight away gave me a warning message. I would question the integrity of the file if it was me.

The users do have the compatability pack installed so not problem converting other than the warning message receive upon opening.

Upvote 0
I would check the range references again. I don't get that warning when opening an xlsb in Excel 2003 provided that I haven't used or referred to any cells outside the limits. If you are still stuck you can put the workbook on a share like Box.com, post a link to it and someone may take a look.

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew.

Won't be able to put the file on as my corporate network won't allow me to upload files to the internet.

The template file is saved as a .xls file so when I open the template in both platforms I don't get an error message, but as soon as it is saved as a .xlsb file, that's when I get the error message when opening in 2003.

Upvote 0
Do you have any dynamically defined ranges in the template file? Or formulas referring to the entire worksheet contents?

Upvote 0
The ranges are already in the template file and if anythign reduce when non populated rows are deleted.

There aren't any ranges that refer to thw whole worksheet. The only thing I can think of is any SUMIF formulas that refer to whole columns rather than a range, but surely excel would deal with and not expect more than 65k rows if the platform is 2003?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back