XLSB format caused my file size to increase

jworkman7

Board Regular
When I have a particularly massive project on a shared drive which needs to run faster and more efficiently on lower quality machines at my company's various branches, I usually save the file in XLSB format to share, because this reduces the the file size, so it can download or be sent via email more efficiently. However today, I had a project and saved it as XLSB, but the file instead increased in size by 1 MB. Not a huge deal, but in the past this usually cuts file size down by about 50% and decreases formula processing times substantially.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
When I have a particularly massive project on a shared drive which needs to run faster and more efficiently on lower quality machines at my company's various branches, I usually save the file in XLSB format to share, because this reduces the the file size, so it can download or be sent via email more efficiently. However today, I had a project and saved it as XLSB, but the file instead increased in size by 1 MB. Not a huge deal, but in the past this usually cuts file size down by about 50% and decreases formula processing times substantially.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Additional userforms. Each userform used to be stored as a bitmap image in the file. If you can use dynamic code to manufacture forms after compilation time you may cut the size down substantially. It's usually a good idea to keep your operational workbooks separate from the data workbook because VBA code can increase file size dramatically.

Upvote 0
Additional userforms. Each userform used to be stored as a bitmap image in the file. If you can use dynamic code to manufacture forms after compilation time you may cut the size down substantially. It's usually a good idea to keep your operational workbooks separate from the data workbook because VBA code can increase file size dramatically.

Currently no VBA, macros, or Userforms present in the workbook. It was simply a change from XLSX to XLSB, with nothing fancy in between

Upvote 0
I don't think there is any reason an xlsb file would have to be smaller, so if it isn't then that's just the breaks. You shouldn't have any problems with xlsx - the only thing I have heard is that load times may be faster with xlsb, but otherwise performance is not effected. If you are going for a faster load time (opening workbook), then try xlsb. If you just want to decrease file size then stick with xlsx. If you just want performance (working with an already open workbook) then either is fine.

Upvote 0
I don't think there is any reason an xlsb file would have to be smaller, so if it isn't then that's just the breaks. You shouldn't have any problems with xlsx - the only thing I have heard is that load times may be faster with xlsb, but otherwise performance is not effected. If you are going for a faster load time (opening workbook), then try xlsb. If you just want to decrease file size then stick with xlsx. If you just want performance (working with an already open workbook) then either is fine.

Yeah, it's not a huge deal. Over time though (I keep this workbook going all year) the data adds up and will be close to 15 MB

Upvote 0
Just remember that the file is XML based so that's why it's so much smaller than the Excel 97 formats were. It also means that the file is higly compressible which might be worth remembering for storage. NTFS has native file compression available but not many people use it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back