xlScript

Easy-XL Support

Board Regular
I'd like to get some feedback on a utility we wrote for Easy-XL called xlScript.

The purpose of the utility is to allow non-VBA programmers to do basic batch/macro processing. The utility translates the batch statements into VBA.

We have implemented a basic set of commands and would like to find out what you think in terms of how useful such a utility may be and what it's missing in terms of command functionality.

I have prepared a demo video (originally for Bill J) to demonstrate xlScript:

http://www.easy-xl.com/videos/misc/xlScript
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>If you have any thoughts or comments about xlScript, please feel free to post them here or email them to me at support at easy-xl dot com.</o:p>
<o:p>Again, the purpose of xlScript is to allow non-programmers to create simple Excel batch jobs. </o:p>
<o:p>Thanks in advance for any input that you may have.</o:p>

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
I just had a look. From what I can see this looks very useful. Simpler than VBA and even a good way for a budding developer to learn VBA. :)

I know of plenty of people who occassionally attempt to code that would be better off using this utility! It seems that the code it generates is alot tidier than the code they would write.

In terms of *missing* commands, I think you have the important stuff and I can't think of anything else to add.

Very nice, well done!

yytsunamiyy

It certainly looks very interesting. I'll need to have a play-around with it for a proper opinion, but from first impressions it looks way simpler than vba, yet still a steep learning (and support) curve for someone completely new to programming. I think if you would add a visual interface similiar to the Macro-recorder in XL, it would increase dramatically in usability for noobs.

Oorang

I'm not really clear why you would want another scripting language when you have VBA already. :confused:

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Csmnvld

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...