XLSM files getting corrupted since last 1 week

mdd16

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am seeing many of my macro enabled and vba containing files getting corrupted since last few days.

For complex files, I create backups each time I open those files with workbook_open routine.. now my prior back ups are also getting corrupted upon opening.. its just driving me crazy.

Its not limited to one particular machine .. I have complaints from 4 different computers which used to have these files running xlsm files so smoothly before.

Files are located on a shared iCloud Drive. We use windows with Parallels on Macs.

Anyone else seen that happening off late ?

Anyone can offer guidance.. god bless the helping people out there.
regards

Mohan

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
What exactly is the behaviour you are seeing?

Upvote 0
Storage behaviours, each file has different errors showing up.

One latest file has some modules and user forms corrupted. The module1 which carries the 'make back up upon opening code' is getting error

Method 'Value' of object 'Range' failed.. This particular line of code where Debug takes me, has been run thousands and thousands of file as I copy the same module1 to all my files.

Then after a while excel shuts and file opens again by itself.. this time breaking at the next line of code.
Then I tried to stop the debugger and tried to run the code manually, then it showed 'catastrophic error' and I had to force quit excel to stop the looping error message box.

You can see the behaviour at this dropbox location. I have uploaded a screen recording. Excel Errors Screen Recording.mov

Other files have also shown catastrophic errors.

Upvote 0
Storage behaviours, each file has different errors showing up.

One latest file has some modules and user forms corrupted. The module1 which carries the 'make back up upon opening code' is getting error

Method 'Value' of object 'Range' failed.. This particular line of code where Debug takes me, has been run thousands and thousands of file as I copy the same module1 to all my files.

Then after a while excel shuts and file opens again by itself.. this time breaking at the next line of code.
Then I tried to stop the debugger and tried to run the code manually, then it showed 'catastrophic error' and I had to force quit excel to stop the looping error message box.

You can see the behaviour at this dropbox location. I have uploaded a screen recording. Excel Errors Screen Recording.mov

Other files have also shown catastrophic errors.

Hello.. wish to add information to my post..

I opened the file using vba from another file using "Application.EnableEvents = False". Then accessed the vba of error file and removed code of Workbook_open on the "this workbook module". Saved and opened file as normal. Its working now.

So the error is coming from Workbook_Open event.. some relief that that rest of file is usable.. I haven't tried full length but looks like it should work fine.

How do we resolve this issue.. any guidance will be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I have recently seen a similar post with Workbook Open code that has always worked previously now causing errors. (It was a path/file access error in that case) If your Office suite has recently updated, it may be a bug.

Upvote 0
I have recently seen a similar post with Workbook Open code that has always worked previously now causing errors. (It was a path/file access error in that case) If your Office suite has recently updated, it may be a bug.
I did re-install excel due to errors. If indeed it's a big, hopefully MSFT will issue update soon.

Thanks for your kind attention to my posts. Have a good day.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back