XLSM FILES WON'T OPEN IN 365

dhd71

Office Version
  1. 365
Has anyone been able to figure this out yet? I started with a new company recently. My old company used an EXCEL based box making program created by the owners son. It works fine on my home computer running office 2010 but at my new company using office 365 it won't open. Just says the file is corrupted. I know it's not because I can take it back home and the same file on the thumb drive opens up perfectly, no issues. I figured it was just a macros permission issue but I changed all that and it still doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Can you right click the file, click properties and on the General tab see if you have an Unblock checkbox near the bottom (if it isn't blocked then there won't be anything there at all).

1613430370499.png

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Can you upload the file to a free file hosting site like www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Mark the file for sharing and copy/paste the link it provides in the thread.

Make sure that you amend any sensitive data before uploading

Upvote 0
I will give it a shot when I go home. I don't have stuff like that here and not allowed to download unapproved things.

Upvote 0
Are you using the Desktop version or the Web version of Office 365? I have had issues that due to VBA code things dont run on the web version of excel when they work perfectly on the desktop version.

Also another thought based on my experience working with Microsoft Access and other apps. Have you tried to "SAVE AS" another file? Basically on a computer that it works on, go to File > Save As and give it another name. Then try to run it on the new computer. This would have the computer write the file new. If there was cruft it could help get rid of it.

Upvote 0
Are you using the Desktop version or the Web version of Office 365? I have had issues that due to VBA code things dont run on the web version of excel when they work perfectly on the desktop version.

Also another thought based on my experience working with Microsoft Access and other apps. Have you tried to "SAVE AS" another file? Basically on a computer that it works on, go to File > Save As and give it another name. Then try to run it on the new computer. This would have the computer write the file new. If there was cruft it could help get rid of it.
I'm not too sure. I just started with this company. When I right click on the program on the thumb drive there is no save as. I have to copy it and then paste it

Upvote 0
Not sure how that will work, when I opened it through drop box it gave me the same error.

Upvote 0
Okay, now I think it's something in the save process. I just tried opening the one on the thumb drive and I get the same error. The one on my home computer, no problem

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iparraguirre89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back