XLStart Folder

bmkelly

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Does anyone know if one can have a batch file copy and paste a "Master" file from a shared folder into each individuals Personal XLStart Folders?

It gets a little complicated because each individuals paths aren't the same due to each individual having a designated User Number Folder so I am not sure how to make a universal Batch that grabs the Master File and Saves to each individuals Personal XLStart

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Could it be an option for you to maintain the shared folder and instruct your users to change their settings once, using that particular shared folder?
(File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted Locations > Excel default location: User StartUp > modify button)

Upvote 0
Solution
Could it be an option for you to maintain the shared folder and instruct your users to change their settings once, using that particular shared folder?
(File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted Locations > Excel default location: User StartUp > modify button)
I just looked into something like this and having the "Master Macros" excel file that will hold the macros in a path, so now I just need users to insert that path into the excel option for startup! Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
You're welcome and thanks for posting back.
With this approach no batch is needed and there's just one Excel workbook to maintain, without the need to copy this file multiple times again after modification.

Upvote 0
You're welcome and thanks for posting back.
With this approach no batch is needed and there's just one Excel workbook to maintain, without the need to copy this file multiple times again after modification.
Yes! I was getting a headache trying to figure out wildcards with a batch since each user has their own user profile number for the path directory to XLstart.

Upvote 0
In your situation I wouldn't have used a Windows cmd batch for that, but a macro that had taken care of all next level subfolders of the folder C:\Users...
But as mentioned, the change in trust center is less drastic...

Upvote 0
In your situation I wouldn't have used a Windows cmd batch for that, but a macro that had taken care of all next level subfolders of the folder C:\Users...
But as mentioned, the change in trust center is less drastic...
Coming back to this thread...Do you know of anyway to prevent the "Master Macros" Workbook that will be open on start of Excel for users to prevent the "Read Only" message that appears? I have tried right clicking properties on the file and Unchecking the Read Only box and Applying and it works but it seems to keep reverting back to having the Read Only box Checked....

1645481705143.png

I am not sure if its just being weird on my end and reverting back to checking Read Only or a Permissions issue but figured I thought I would ask in case you or others have came across this issue.

Upvote 0
If the attribute is set or cleared using the properties dialog (as in the image of your last post) then it should be persistent.
A file's attribute is neither cleared nor set by itself and of course this applies to all files, not just an Excel workbook.

So if you encounter behaviour as described in your post then there's another process within the computer environment responsible for that. Perhaps your IT department may clarify.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back