.xlsx is already open...

Robert_Conklin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have a large workbook with many worksheets within it. The end users fill in the user-forms and email the workbook back to me. There is a "SUBMIT" button in the workbook that uses VBA code to transfers the data submitted to another workbook that is used as a repository. I do not have any issues with this process, but my co-workers get the following error message when clicking the "SUBMIT" button.

SPAR LOAD PROCESS WORKSHEET 2018.xlsx is already open. Reopening will cause any changes you made to be discarded. Do you want to reopen SPAR LOAD PROCESS WORKSHEET 2018.xlsx?

The destination file in the error message is not open when they click the "SUBMIT" button. Like I mentioned above I do not have any issues when I run the process on my computer.

Are there any suggestions as to why this would be happening? I am not convinced that it is the VBA code that is the problem.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
How many people are responding? is there a chance they are clashing?

A few simple questions to look at.

Does the code try and open the workbook twice? Does the macro close the workbook after it has done what it needs to so it is closed for the next?

Upvote 0
You are the first to respond. I am not 100%, but I do not think the code tries to open it twice. Like I mentioned in the post, My co-workers get the error message, I do not. They receive the same sheets from the end users that I do. I do know that I have to manually save and close the destination file so that the data will save.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So an outside Macro opens the file and transfers data then you have to manually save and close it, so if one person opens it and you are not at the PC it stays open does it not?

Upvote 0
Yes, code from one Excel workbook opens the destination file, and I have to manually save and close it. No, I personally always save it and close it after the transfer. Also, if I am the one taking care of the transfers, none of my co-workers are. We have looked into that scenario, but we have all made sure that the destination file is closed on everyone's laptops, but they still receive the error message and I do not.

Would it be beneficial to add code to automatically save and close the destination file?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back