XP Recalculation Problems

I use a very large workbook with many sheets, and many lengthy formulas, some of them using custom functions along the way. It is admittedly a very heavy spreadsheet, but it worked well in Excel 2000.

I recently migrated to Excel XP and this spreadsheet virtually will not recalculate. For example, I'm running it now and hit F9 about 20 minutes ago. It is presently at 70% completion, but I've been here before and many times it never finishes, it just hangs.

I reopened the file on an Excel 2000 machine and there is no problem. It is on a network and we've determined the the problem is not PC related.

I went through and ran the custom functions on their own in smaller worksheets and there is no problem. We also had some queries running in the file that we've updated and checked, they seem to be fine.

This is bad. I had an intern write this file all summer. I hope it's not simply to much for Excel to handle, but why would it run smoothly in 2000?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Tim.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi:
Just some thought from a beginner:
If you are using any addins....are they made available to both machines.

If network, any network conflicts with machine/person file security.

If external data used, are all files made available to both machines.

hope this helps.

pll

Upvote 0
What OS is running on the machine that was on Excel 2k and what OS is on the machine that is on Excel 2k2?

Upvote 0
The machines are WinXP. I don't believe add-ins are the problem because it will recalculate, you just have to go to a long lunch while you wait.

So, nobody has seen anything like this, eh?

Upvote 0
I'm the intern that orginally wrote the file in excel.

Just as an update in case anyone else experiences a similar problem.

The problem was fixed by deleting five array formulas that counted the errors in approximately 35000 cells each. I don't know why Excel XP would have a problem with this sort of calculation when Excel 2000 would not. I'd be interested to find out if anyone has some insite.

Rick Cavolo
Richard_Cavolo@fceinc.com

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back