XP Workbook stopped working in Win 7, VBA is PW protected

Brain-Hurts

I have a survival level knowledge of Excel and can follow instructions within the UI, but I may need some clarification for any answers regarding VB. I can make the file below available privately if needed, but cannot post it publicly.

INTRO:
My company has for years used a very well put together document for configuring radio equipment and identifying conflicts through a visual representation of the equipment. After a password prompt to open the sheet (which we have) it opens a welcome page that asks if you AGREE/DISAGREE to terms. Clicking on the "I AGREE" button then opens the actual guts of the operation, with it's multitude of tabs and information. None of this is visible until after clicking on that button.

PROBLEM:
The problem is that our company pushed a WIN7/laptop upgrade and opening the document on any of the new laptops brings up the first sheet, but clicking the AGREE button closes it, leaving behind nothing but a blank Excel window.

The sheet was created in 2002 and is saved in .xls format, having been used without issue with Excel 2003 in XP. We are trying to open it in Excel 2007 with Win 7.

The second major problem is support. The original author retired 3 years ago, and our company now funnels all IT issues through HP, and thus, India. They can handle the vanilla PC's they supply for the most part but for any any real problem that does not have a keyword in their knowledge base stops them dead. Escalating back here to the states was a bad idea, because someone decided to mark it as "non-supported" in the new upgrade. The burden falls upon us now :)

THE QUESTION:
Can I just open the sheet by doing away with the welcome page? Remember, I already have the password to open and access the sheet. Just modifying or exploring deeper ran into the other passwords.

This SEEMS like a very simple problem but it is made complex by lack of understanding of how Excel macros work. I see this is a single, 12Mb file and figured there has to be some type of call/routine when that button is clicked but anywhere I try to look the info is PW protected. I removed the sheet PW with an external app, and ran into yet another PW within the VB area. <---This is futile anyway since I do not know what I am looking for, but I am an investigator so looking for clues is just part of the fun. :cool:

SUMMARY:
Macro worksheet worked in Excel 2003/XP. Does not work in Excel 2007/Win7. Introduction/gateway worksheet button no longer opens the main file. I would like to remove/bypass the introduction sheet, or understand and repair the problem altogether. I can send the file privately to someone who has the knowledge to help, but cannot post it publicly.

See some screen caps below and thanks for any help

1. Initial Opening Page

2. Intro/Gateway page

Proper function when it works

4. What actually happens

5. windowed version of the above screen

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
my first try would be to open your new excel, then open the file from there and save as xlsb (or if you must xlsm)

then see if that works

the possible reason for the macro not working is that xlsx deletes macros when saved, its not macro enabled

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back