XSLT-Template for Excel

XL-Dennis

Nice forum!

At present I'm working with VB.NET 2003 / SQL Server 2000 / ADO.NET/Excel 2003.

Since it´s not possible to dump the records with CopyFromDataset in ADO.NET I try to make a workaround with XML/XSLT. (Write the records into a XML-file via a DataSet, transform it to a HTML-file with the XSLT-file)

At present my main concern is to create the XSLT-file for Excel 2003.

Does anyone know a good source for XSLT-templates for Excel as I dislike very much to create all of it (It reminds me of the old days when we wrote all HTML by hand...)?

(y)

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Sorry we couldn't help you Dennis - but thanks for posting what you found. I'm sure it'll help someone in the future... that is if anyone can figure out what you're doing :biggrin:

Upvote 0
XL-Dennis said:
An improved version of this little thing here:

http://www.excelkb.com/article.aspx?id=10094

Yes, I'm trying to learn about XML/XSLT ;)
Be careful Dennis...once you open that door, you might be changing your tag to XML-Dennis! :devilish:

XML/XSLT is great for what it is designed to do. XML can take data and organize it into a way where it is logical, and can be processed with very little knowledge (given a good DTD or schema).

XSLT can take your XML and put it into a format that users like to see, or totally change your XML structure.

It is fun stuff!

If you haven't already, I highly recommend the books that O'Reilly has published on these two topics, and also their great XML site...O'Reilly XML.com.

Upvote 0
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the heads up on O'Reilly and the warning :)

My only aim is to get things working with importing data to Excel in ADO.NET in a smooth way.

I expect we in Office 2005 can use ADO.NET and that we also get the method GetFromDataset available.

The most remarkable thing is not XML itself (as i only generate XML by code) it's the fact that the XSLT-file must be "well formed" otherwise it will not be executed.

So far I've been only evaluating Stylus Studios which give some possibilites to evaluate the XSLT-instructions.

BTW, I recently downloaded the Office 2003 Schemas but I have not had the time to dig into it deeper:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-3547-420a-a412-00a2662442d9&displaylang=en

No, I´m a VB.NET / ADO.NET - man so unless I aband it for InfoPath I sure will only be touching it on its surface ;)

Take care,

Upvote 0
Well...if you look at a lot of your VB.NET/ADO.NET config files, they are stored in XML. As a matter of fact, Windows XP does a lot with XML so it's a very good thing to know.

As far as I know, XML is the new version of the old INI files for applications.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, XML is the new version of the old INI files for applications.

You seems to got a point with it but I'm sure MS wouldn't put it in terms like this ;)

FYI, I prefer to use Windows 2000 SP-4 then Windows XP Pro with SP-2 and I also ordered the book Learning XML from O'Reilly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back