Year-Over-Year Percentage Increase Calculation

Demonsguile

I'm looking for help in determining the formula for year-over-year (YOY) percentage increase over multiple years. And, I'm only given the original value and the multi-year sum value. For example, in 2022 I spent $75,000 for maintenance on a software package. Now, I want to renew for three years instead of a single year. The pricing on the 3-year package is $280,000. A standard price increase formula would look like =(New-Old)/Old or (280k-225k)/225k = 24.44%, which is interesting, but it's not what I'm after. I want the percentage that each individual year was increased in order to arrive at the new cumulative value. In other words, what was the YOY increase for 2023, 2024, and 2025? In my example, the answer for each individual year would be a 11.34053% increase YOY.

Right now, I'm doing the guess-n-check method. I would love it if someone could help me with a formula so that I don't have to keep doing this.

Thanks,
DG

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
The formula for compound annualised growth rate is: (New/Old)^(1/n)-1

It is not possible to infer each annual change when the only knowns are the New, Old and periods (i.e., n) values.

Upvote 0
The formula for compound annualised growth rate is: (New/Old)^(1/n)-1

It is not possible to infer each annual change when the only knowns are the New, Old and periods (i.e., n) values.
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.

DG

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back