Yet another Time Question

Gregory7

Is it possible to calculate hours if both the start and end time are in the same cell. Unfortunatly the developers of our scheduling program developed it so when you export the schedule to excel it shows Greg in A1 and 3:00pm-9:00pm in A2. I would like to have excel calculate the 6 hours so I can use it to auto generate another spread sheet I am making.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
well i think this is ott but

=TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(MID(A3,FIND("-",A3)+1,7)),RIGHT(TRIM(MID(A3,FIND("-",A3)+1,7)),2)," "&RIGHT(TRIM(MID(A3,FIND("-",A3)+1,7)),2)))-TIMEVALUE(LEFT(A3,FIND("-",A3)-3)&" "&MID(A3,FIND("-",A3)-2,2))

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. So I used the formula for a 10:00am-5:00pm shift and it gave me a result of .29167 is there a format I need to change the output cell to?

Upvote 0
Hello Greg, welcome to MrExcel

you need to format the result cell as h:mm

You could also try this formula, it should accommodate any times even if it crosses midnight like 9:00pm-5:00am

=MOD(REPLACE(REPLACE(A2,FIND("m",A2,FIND("-",A2)+1)-1,0," "),1,FIND("-",A2),"")-REPLACE(LEFT(A2,FIND("-",A2)-1),FIND("-",A2)-2,0," "),1)

Upvote 0
multiply the result by 24 format as general
=24*(MOD(REPLACE(REPLACE(A2,FIND("m",A2,FIND("-",A2)+1)-1,0," "),1,FIND("-",A2),"")-REPLACE(LEFT(A2,FIND("-",A2)-1),FIND("-",A2)-2,0," "),1))

Upvote 0
multiply the result by 24 format as general
=24*(MOD(REPLACE(REPLACE(A2,FIND("m",A2,FIND("-",A2)+1)-1,0," "),1,FIND("-",A2),"")-REPLACE(LEFT(A2,FIND("-",A2)-1),FIND("-",A2)-2,0," "),1))

Tried this one using a seperate wookbook and sheet here is my formula not getting a valid result any ideas? Just an fyi the orginal does work just not when copying between workbooks.

=24*(MOD(REPLACE(REPLACE([Sundaydt.xlsx]Page2!$D$10,FIND("m",[Sundaydt.xlsx]Page2!$D$10,FIND("-",[Sundaydt.xlsx]Page2!$D$10)+1)-1,0," "),1,FIND("-",[Sundaydt.xlsx]Page2!$D$10),"")-REPLACE(LEFT([Sundaydt.xlsx]Page2!$D$10,FIND("-",[Sundaydt.xlsx]Page2!$D$10)-1),FIND("-",[Sundaydt.xlsx]Page2!$D$10)-2,0," "),1))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The formula looks OK to me, are you sure there's data in that format in the referenced cell? What result do you get, an error?

Upvote 0
Its pulling a time frame 7:00am-10:00pm..

Just getting #####

Edit* is it possible because it is listed at 07:00pm-10:00pm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back