MrExcel HTML Maker Update

Thank you all!

Re: the generator_setting error; that is the old version of the HTML maker that is still being used. I removed that variable in my version and replaced with the tag on the XRibbon control. Be sure to double check your activated add-ins and disable the old version (HtmlMaker20101230.xla) (see code difference below).

Actually it is not in my case (I do know how to remove and install addins).

It triggers the macro's in the Forum Tools addin (I think it is the one Rory wrote) and produces the error in the
mCreateHTMLv - Make_Grid
module and routine.

If I comment that routine out then so far the new HTML maker appears to work correctly.
See posts 3 and onwards in this link

Peter, do you have the forum tools add-in installed?

Last edited:
Actually it is not in my case (I do know how to remove and install addins).

It triggers the macro's in the Forum Tools addin (I think it is the one Rory wrote) and produces the error in the module and routine.

If I comment that routine out then so far the new HTML maker appears to work correctly.
See posts 3 and onwards in this link

Peter, do you have the forum tools add-in installed?

Great catch! I have not used (or heard of) the forums tools addin. I wonder if it would be worth me renaming the subroutines to reduce conflict. If this is a widespread issue, I'd be happy to go through the process to revamp the naming conventions.

After some light .testing it looks like the Forum Tools addin needs the same updates :ROFLMAO:

Edit: although I suppose it could also be another conflict between the 2 addins but I don't believe this is the case

Last edited:
Team,

See the following post/thread reply $4, with the latest screenshot on MrExcel:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...n-color-if-column-b-has-text.html#post4882816

I am not sure it is the same tool as it looks different (see posts 6-12 in the link below) with the 2 programs I have called Forum Tools (one I think was a version by shg which only produces a BB code table and the other which has the options of either a BB code or HTML table)...

my test

I think the one I have is on Rory's page below and it the article he states that the HTML version is based on the normal HTML maker here.

Excel forums | Excel Matters

Last edited:
Edit: I hadn't seen page 2 of the thread when I drafted this. I think I have just repeated much of what is above.

Re: the generator_setting error; that is the old version of the HTML maker that is still being used. I removed that variable in my version and replaced with the tag on the XRibbon control. Be sure to double check your activated add-ins and disable the old version (HtmlMaker20101230.xla) (see code difference below).
I have double-checked the removal of the old MrExcel HTMLMaker Add-In & files & am pretty confident that is all okay.

From what I can see, the error that I was/am getting relates to the fact that your new Add-In may not (always) sit well with Rory's 'Forum Tools' Add-In, also based on Richard's file I believe. When I had both installed & activated, I tried to use yours (from the new ribbon tab that yours creates) & I again got the error reported in posts 7 & 8 here. On investigation the code line that highlighted as an error is indeed in the Forum Tools code. I'm not an expert in Add-Ins but it would appear that something in your Add-In was triggering something in Rory's.

I de-activated the Forum Tools Add-In and the problem disappeared and your code worked. I then re-activated Forum Tools and your code still appears to work. What all that means I have no idea but I thought that I should report it. I will continue to test when possible.

Last edited:
Edit: I hadn't seen page 2 of the thread when I drafted this. I think I have just repeated much of what is above.

I have double-checked the removal of the old MrExcel HTMLMaker Add-In & files & am pretty confident that is all okay.

From what I can see, the error that I was/am getting relates to the fact that your new Add-In may not (always) sit well with Rory's 'Forum Tools' Add-In, also based on Richard's file I believe. When I had both installed & activated, I tried to use yours (from the new ribbon tab that yours creates) & I again got the error reported in posts 7 & 8 here. On investigation the code line that highlighted as an error is indeed in the Forum Tools code. I'm not an expert in Add-Ins but it would appear that something in your Add-In was triggering something in Rory's.

I de-activated the Forum Tools Add-In and the problem disappeared and your code worked. I then re-activated Forum Tools and your code still appears to work. What all that means I have no idea but I thought that I should report it. I will continue to test when possible.

Thank you for the thorough testing, Peter. I'll update the code tomorrow to adjust the names of the subroutines, so it no longer conflicts with other addins based on its original coding.

I haven't tested usage much at all yet but there are still issues for me.
When I started today I had Forum Tools activated but not your previous version of MrExcelHTMLMaker (MrE).
I removed previous MrE & installed new MrE. New MrE ribbon tab was created fine.
Closed Excel & re-opened & on the startup screen I could see MrE loading but no MrE ribbon tab appeared, though checking activated Add-Ins I see that new MrE is ticked.

I deactivated MrE & Forum Tools by removing the ticks in Options -> Add-Ins
Closed Excel & re-opened.
Neither Add-In appears in vbaProjects nor had a ribbon tab created - all good in that regard. However, a right-click menu option still appears and, if used, opens Forum Tool vbaProject and generates the required code. That may not be relevant to your work, though you did mention having a right-click menu. If Forum Tools and MrE are both going to have a similar right-click menu, you might consider re-labelling to be "MrE Generate HTML (Use Default)" or similar so that users know which Add-In they are using.

With a reasonable amount of playing around, I am still having great difficulty getting MrE to load/create ribbon tab/create right-click menu if Forum Tools is or has been activated. Right now I have Forum Tools unticked and MrE ticked in the Add-Ins but on closing & reopening Excel (several times) MrE is not loading code (& therefore not creating ribbon tab or right-click menu).

Great info, Peter. Looks like it's time for me to download the Forum Tools addin and work out the kinks. I do greatly appreciate the information and assistance debugging this!

As for the ribbon - it's done through the XML code. I couldn't imagine that having a conflict with something else, but I'll give the Forum Tools addin a peek to see if it has embedded XML as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back