MrExcel HTML Maker Update

Looks like it's time for me to download the Forum Tools addin and work out the kinks.
I think that is a good idea, rather than us trying to explain all the steps we took. At least that way you might get most of it sorted. Then if there are isolated things that affect individual users after that they can be worked on then.

I do greatly appreciate the information and assistance debugging this!
.. and many forum users will appreciate your efforts!

I'll also have a look at it when I'm back. I didn't really review the commandbar code when I incorporated it, and it would be good to update it for RibbonX for 2010 and later.

I deactivated MrE & Forum Tools by removing the ticks in Options -> Add-Ins
Closed Excel & re-opened.
Neither Add-In appears in vbaProjects nor had a ribbon tab created - all good in that regard. However, a right-click menu option still appears and, if used, opens Forum Tool vbaProject and generates the required code. That may not be relevant to your work, though you did mention having a right-click menu. If Forum Tools and MrE are both going to have a similar right-click menu, you might consider re-labelling to be "MrE Generate HTML (Use Default)" or similar so that users know which Add-In they are using.

Peter,

I think I may have figured out what is going on with the issue you describe above. The Forum Tools add-in isn't consistently cleaning up its commandbars when it's being disabled. I noticed a similar issue with the (old) HTML Maker where workbook_open() and workbook_beforeclose() events weren't firing; this is what initially prompted me to go the route of XRibbon instead of having the code create/clean up command bars.

Here is how I was able to replicate the issue:
Code:
* Disable Mrexcelhtmlmaker20170804
* Before disabling Forum Tools add-in, run the macro "CleanUp" from Forum Tools (found in the mUI module).  
  Confirm before disabling add-in that all right-click context menus related to HTML Maker/Forum Tools are removed.
* Close/Open Excel
* Enable Forum Tools add-in
	* Here is where I experience the issue that the right-click context menus are not created, 
	  as for some reason the workbook_open event isn't firing.
* Close/reopen Excel here, the menus will get properly created.  I assume that enabling an add-in
  while Excel is open does not trigger the workbook_open() event.
* Deactivate Forum Tools add-in
	* Because the add-in is being deactivated, similar to the workbook_open() event not firing, the
	  workbook_beforeclose() event isn't firing.  Because of this, the macro "CleanUp" is never running.
	* This is where the latent right-click menus are sticking around.
	* Closing/Reopening Excel does NOT clear these out.  They must be cleared using the CleanUp macro.
	* If you try clicking one of these, Excel appears to hang.  If I press Esc, it goes to the Forum Tools addin code.

Can you please verify on your end if this testing is consistent with what you have experienced?

Can you please verify on your end if this testing is consistent with what you have experienced?
Yes, I replicated what you have described.

Yes, I replicated what you have described.

With that in mind, do you still get errors with my menus or are you having issues with my menus generating? I have not been able to replicate the issue with menus not generating on my end.

With that in mind, do you still get errors with my menus or are you having issues with my menus generating? I have not been able to replicate the issue with menus not generating on my end.

My problem is (still) that if I have Forum Tools installed and I then Activate MrExcelHTMLMaker20170804 everything seems okay, but as soon as I close Excel and re-open the following happens
- The MrExcel ribbon tab does not appear
- The MrExcel right-click menu does not appear
- And yet in File->Options->Add-Ins MrExcelHTMLMaker20170804 is still shown as ticked

Hello Peter
Did you check the option/permission for this add-in

C\:\Users ....
right click HTML maker
Properties
check the option to permit use ( This may be in Advanced)

N.B. Some of my wording may be incorrect; the option no longer shows.

It is under the general section as blocked in the properties but I suspect Peter has his addins folder as a trusted location which would allow it to run.

I might be wrong about the last bit though :biggrin:

Hello Peter
Did you check the option/permission for this add-in

C\:\Users ....
right click HTML maker
Properties
check the option to permit use ( This may be in Advanced)

N.B. Some of my wording may be incorrect; the option no longer shows.
Dave, I think you may have it. Thank you!
I had originally unblocked the Add-In but, after having some troubles, deleted everything and started right from the beginning again.
It appears that I forgot to unblock the second time. :oops:
The odd thing is that I got the new MrExcel HTML Maker up and working the first time on each of my two 'installation attempts', even when I forgot to unblock. It was only after I subsequently closed Excel & Re-opened that the Add-In failed to load. Since it had worked once, the unblocking didn't occur to me. :eek:

Anyway, in very limited testing now, it seems to be working. I have two identical right-click menus though, which is quite confusing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back