MrExcel HTML Maker Update

MrKowz

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Forum Members,

After the recent forum update, the MrExcel HTML Maker ceased to function as intended due to HTML colors being defined as hex (i.e. #DAEF5 ), which was triggering the hashtag functionality of the boards. I've updated the code to utilize RGB instead (i.e. rgb(218,231,245)) which seems to have cleared up the issue.

Also, I have added XRibbon coding to restore functionality to the right-click context menu, as well as restore the ribbon menu entry. You should see a new tab called "MrExcel HTML Maker" appear to the right of the "Developer" tab. One functionality I have not yet figured out how to replicate that the old version had was to place a checkmark next to the chosen "default" in the "Set Default Options" list. I welcome anyone who is well versed with XRibbon manipulation to help me out with this one!

Please use the following link to download the most recent version.

Link to revised Addin now in post 31 : MrExcel HTML Maker Update

Cheers all! Please use this thread to report any other HTML Maker bugs that you notice, and I'll do what I can to patch them.),

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not downloaded a new version of HTML Maker; I do not have DropBox.

When I copy information to the site it is distorted, I delete it and post again and it is OK.

The board is much slower or the internet is much slower.

Did the original author of the HTML Maker review his code considering board changes?

Is the new file a 2016 or 2017 version?

Last edited:
I have not downloaded a new version of HTML Maker; I do not have DropBox.

When I copy information to the site it is distorted, I delete it and post again and it is OK.

The board is much slower or the internet is much slower.

Did the original author of the HTML Maker review his code considering board changes?

Is the new file a 2016 or 2017 version?

You shouldn't need dropbox to download the new version. If you get a popup asking you to create an account, just x-out of it.

As for the original author of the HTML Maker, I actually reached out to him a few weeks ago; he is no longer supporting it, as he has stepped away from Excel. I have taken it upon myself to take ownership of the code and support it (with his blessing ;)). The new file should work with all modern versions of Excel.

The reason the information is distorted is that the HTML code the HTML Maker generates uses hex numbers for cell/text colors, and the recent board update which allows us to create hashtags is automatically parsing these, which is causing a host of issues. I adjusted the code to use rbg() color references instead of hex, so it eliminates all pound/hash/octothorps.

The boards themselves are working significantly slower for me. I suspect it has to do with the new vbOptimize code they implemented. I'm hoping the admins take a look at that code and either retract it or fix it.

Thanks for your work to upgrade the Addin and your information in the above message. Dave

MrKowz,

Thanks for the new product.

I am running Windows 10, latest version, and, Excel 2007.

The old MrExcel HTML Maker worked very well for me.

1. How do I delete/un-install the old version?

2. How do I install the new version?

MrKowz,

Thanks for the new product.

I am running Windows 10, latest version, and, Excel 2007.

The old MrExcel HTML Maker worked very well for me.

1. How do I delete/un-install the old version?

2. How do I install the new version?

Make sure all instances of Excel are closed. Open Windows Explorer and in the address bar, type %APPDATA%/MICROSOFT/ADDINS. This should open up the AddIns folder for Microsoft Office. In here, you should see the old version of the HTML Maker, I don't believe it was titled MrExcelHTMLMaker at the time. Delete that file and put the new version in that folder. Now, open Excel. You should get an error message stating that it can no longer find the "old" addin - just hit OK or whatever button it is to proceed. Now, go to File>Options>Addins and click the "Go" button at the bottom of the window. This will bring up the AddIns dialogue. Put a checkbox next to the new version, and hit OK. You should now be good to go (you may need to restart Excel).

Just to point out that I am getting a Runtime 438 Object doesn't support this property or method error on the red line below (not a big issue for me at the moment as Jeanie seems to be working ok for me, at least in the Test forum).

I haven't had time yet to look through the code to see if I can spot the issue.

Code:
    If IsMissing(generator_setting) Then
        FormulasToParse = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Settings").Range("A1").Value
    Else
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]FormulasToParse = generator_setting[/COLOR]
    End If

Thanks for all the work on this so far - I'm sure there will be more. ;)

A few comments.

1. Re the location of the old HTMLMaker Add-In file: It may well be in a place other than the one arrived at by following the suggestion in post #6 (mine certainly was in a different location). A simple Windows explorer search for htmlmaker*.xla turned up mine pretty quickly. There were at least a couple of previous versions but I believe the most recent one was HtmlMaker20101230.xla

2. I am also getting the same error at the same place that Mark has reported. I'm currently using Excel 365 with Windows 10 if that is any help in resolving the issue.

3. I have not had a chance to test your new version much yet but will try to do so if the above error can be resolved.

4. Many people already have links in their signatures to the location of the old MrExcel HTMLMaker (On Smitty's OneDrive I believe) so once the new version is running robustly, I would hope we could put a copy of the new version there too.

5. Was it deliberate that you named this file MrExcelHTMLMaker20160801.xlam rather than MrExcelHTMLMaker20170801.xlam? :)

Thank you all!

Re: the generator_setting error; that is the old version of the HTML maker that is still being used. I removed that variable in my version and replaced with the tag on the XRibbon control. Be sure to double check your activated add-ins and disable the old version (HtmlMaker20101230.xla) (see code difference below).

And re: PeterSS #4 and 5 - I'll reach out to Smitty and see if he would be able to replace the file (once this has ran its paces). Also, it was not deliberate to name it 2016 - that was my brain being in 2016 mode from other stuff I was working on ;). I'll be sure to name it the correct year next iteration, or when it goes to Smitty's one-drive.

Old code:
Code:
Sub Make_Grid(Optional ByVal generator_setting As Variant)  'must be set as variant to use IsMissing

Dim rngWhole As Range, vGrid As Variant, vWBnms As Variant, vWSnms As Variant
    Dim strOutput As String
    Dim objData As DataObject
    Dim rngFormulas As Range, rngTemp As Range, ar As Range
    Dim lngRows As Long
    Dim blnHasNames As Boolean
    Dim i As Long
    Dim FormulasToParse As FormulaSettings

blnHasNames = (ActiveWorkbook.Names.Count > 0)

If IsMissing(generator_setting) Then
        FormulasToParse = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Settings").Range("A1").Value
    Else
       [COLOR="#FF0000"] [B]FormulasToParse = generator_setting[/B][/COLOR]
    End If

New code:

Code:
Sub Make_Grid(control As IRibbonControl)

Dim rngWhole As Range, vGrid As Variant, vWBnms As Variant, vWSnms As Variant
    Dim strOutput As String
    Dim objData As DataObject
    Dim rngFormulas As Range, rngTemp As Range, ar As Range
    Dim lngRows As Long
    Dim blnHasNames As Boolean
    Dim i As Long
    Dim FormulasToParse As String

blnHasNames = (ActiveWorkbook.Names.Count > 0)

If control.Tag = "Default" Then
        FormulasToParse = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Settings").Range("A1").Value
    Else
        [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]FormulasToParse = control.Tag[/COLOR][/B]
    End If

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back