Private Message Quotas

There is very little reason for a new member to PM another member. All questions should be posted to the forum. If members require clarification on a post, they can post to that thread or create a new thread linking to the original.

The primary reason for this PM limitation is to control spammers. And we are not going to give them the knowledge on how to bypass our system.

No, we cannot get VBulletin to customize their software for us.

Tracy:
1. It is not for anyone other than the new member to determine why they may want to PM another member. And if they do so, they have no idea that they will not receive a reply because they are not informed by MrExcel of the hidden limitation, but are left completely in the dark. Not good service.

2. I did not suggest asking vBulletin to "customize" their software for you. On the contrary, I purposely suggested you advise them of an improvement they could include in a future general upgrade.

No, it is not up to members to decide what they want to PM another member about. We have rules here. Some are to control spam, others are to prevent members from getting harassed.

On the contrary, I purposely suggested you advise them of an improvement they could include in a future general upgrade.

If you feel that strongly about said feature, then you should follow up on it with vBulletin. Frankly, I don't see any reason to add more burden to an already stacked administrative plate.

Doesn't rule #4 in the forum posting rules address this issue ???
I simply tell the OP to keep their questions to the forum and then delete the message.....unless frustration takes over and I have to assist offline....and then I repost what was required back on the forum for others to see the result!!

Doesn't rule #4 in the forum posting rules address this issue ???
I simply tell the OP to keep their questions to the forum and then delete the message.....unless frustration takes over and I have to assist offline....and then I repost what was required back on the forum for others to see the result!!

Hi Michael, it addresses proper usage of the PM issue, but doesn't talk about the limitations to new members.

It is much like most email systems - if someone is out of the office at my job, I don't get notified until AFTER I try to send them something.

Just for information, where I work, the email system (MS Outlook) works in such a way that if I type the name of someone (within the organisation) who has set up an Out Of Office Reply, then that OOOR appears as soon as I type their name, and before the mail has even been sent.
I think it's a pretty good feature - although I'm not saying it's directly relevant to the way that PMs work on Mr Excel / vBulletins.

Just for information, where I work, the email system (MS Outlook) works in such a way that if I type the name of someone (within the organisation) who has set up an Out Of Office Reply, then that OOOR appears as soon as I type their name, and before the mail has even been sent.
I wish we had something like that at my work!
We are a bit behind the times and still using some "older" technology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back