Refreshing forgotten posts

emukiss10

Board Regular
Hello Friends!

It can happen to everyone from time to time.

When we post questions, help requests etc, some forum members are replaying with no answer or the problem is just above their skills. They are asking for some explenations and the post is getting more and more replays with no conclusion.

More experienced members and experts are looking at the post nad see "Oh, 73 views nad 5 replays, It must be resolved" - but it ain't..

How can we revive forgotten but important to us forum posts that are lost in time and not breaking forum rules/spam in the proccess?

Best Regards!
W.

When we post questions, help requests etc, some forum members are replaying with no answer or the problem is just above their skills.
Hopefully, the FIRST reply you get isn't someone saying that they do not know, and providing nothing of value to the thread. If that is the case, you can report the post and if necessary, the Moderators can instruct that person to not reply if they have nothing of value to add to a thread. Its not a big deal if the thread already has replies, but that first reply takes it off the "Zero Reply Posts" listing.

They are asking for some explenations and the post is getting more and more replays with no conclusion.
This is usually not an unreasonable request. I am amazed at the number of questions that we get that are severely lacking in details, where it is not clear what the person is after, it is not clear what their data looks like, or it is impossible to give a good answer without more information. You can avoid this by asking good, thorough, detailed questions. There is a Sticky with tips on how to ask a good question here: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/127080-guidelines-forum-use.html
How can we revive forgotten but important to us forum posts that are lost in time and not breaking forum rules/spam in the proccess?
By bumping it yourself by replying to it. For best results, follow these guidelines:

- If there are NO replies, wait at least 24 hours before bumping. Threads with no replies show in the "Zero Reply Posts" listing, so once you bump it, it will no longer show there. I often see people bump within the first hour or two, because they are worried that the thread has fallen off the first page (not a big deal), and don't realize that bumping too early actually is counterproductive, as it removes it from the "Zero Reply Posts" list (and also appears to be really impatient, which might scare some repliers away).

- Don't get too crazy with bumping (bumping too often). You don't want to bump more than once or twice a day.

Thank You for clearing my worries.

I wasn't sure If it's a good idea to replay to our own posts just to "bump" questions up.

Thanks!

I wasn't sure If it's a good idea to replay to our own posts just to "bump" questions up.
Its fine, as long as you follow the guidelines I provided.
I have some people bump their own posts after 10 minutes, not realizing that greatly reduces their chances of getting help, as it removes it from that "Zero Reply Posts" listing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back