No Option to MARK issues as RESOLVED

KDavidP1987

Board Regular
Greetings,

First off, great work that you do! Really a benefit to the community!

Question: Would it be possible to include a column in your forums and an option within threads that shows if the issue was resolved? Something where users could mark issues as resolved once they receive an answer that works. That way user's know which issues are still unresolved. And user's looking for answers know which ones received a working solution?

Sincerely,
Kris

Been asked before, and NO a closure will not be added. If you believe your post is resolved, you might want to write that in an entry, this allows all users the ability to look at previous posts. Often it is obvious that a solution has been found, as we ask that the solution is posted in the thread

Greetings,

First off, great work that you do! Really a benefit to the community!

Question: Would it be possible to include a column in your forums and an option within threads that shows if the issue was resolved? Something where users could mark issues as resolved once they receive an answer that works. That way user's know which issues are still unresolved. And user's looking for answers know which ones received a working solution?

Sincerely,
Kris

I asked a similar question last year when MrExcel added new features & the end of the reply to me was

"If we let the OP mark a post as complete, we would lose those amazing conversations"

Perhaps a MOD here may respond with an update to policy but since asking the question, I have come to understand why threads are left open.

Hope Helpful

Dave

Yes, many times a thread is solved, but then someone else posts a solution that blows all the other ones away!
In Excel, there are often many different solutions to problems, and the "first" right answer is not always the "best" right answer.
Many times, someone may come up with a VBA solution because they do not know how to do it with formulas, and then someone else will come along with a formulaic solution.
So, we certainly don't want to discourage that...

I appreciate the follow-up everyone! Apologies for asking something that has been brought up before. I hadn't thought about the impact to ongoing communication in posts once marked resolved.

The reason I had originally asked is because I wanted to start giving back to the community, for all the help I've received to date, but didn't have a way to identify which posts still needed help. I'll just continue looking for posts with 0 replies as an indicator.

Sincerely,
Kris

I'll just continue looking for posts with 0 replies as an indicator.
I am not sure if you are are aware, but there is a "Zero Reply Posts" listing that will show you all of those. It is up in the menu bar.

I appreciate the follow-up everyone! Apologies for asking something that has been brought up before. I hadn't thought about the impact to ongoing communication in posts once marked resolved.

The reason I had originally asked is because I wanted to start giving back to the community, for all the help I've received to date, but didn't have a way to identify which posts still needed help. I'll just continue looking for posts with 0 replies as an indicator.

Sincerely,
Kris

And don't think because there's an answer you might not have a better solution, especially for a specific scenario. The number of times an OP left out a crucial bit because s/he didn't think it was important...
Course, reading other solutions is always a great way to expand your own knowledge. People always ask how I know so much. Sure - experience, but also picking up tidbits from other members. That's why we also really appreciate it when, if the OP figures it out alone, s/he comes back and posts the solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back