Why No One Answers Your Question

Good point Joe & seeing that I amended the title, there's a good chance I moved it.

I try and avoid homework questions but they're not always obvious. I also stay away from users who forget that this forum is a free service and the people on here are doing them a favour from the goodness of their own heart; "I need this today" doesn't work for me.

WBD

Along these same lines, it is very frustrating when you put effort into a solution for someone and never hearing any feedback. Just a quick note to say "thanks, that worked for me" or "appreciate the effort, but it wasn't what I was looking for" will play a major role in my decision to answer another thread of a question-poster.

Speaking of which, thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

Regards,

CJ

Thread titles like "URGENT!" or "Excel help" (no, really - in an Excel help forum??) or "This should be easy for you" pretty much guarantee I'm not going to look at the thread. If the OP can't take the time to at least give some idea of what the question is about, I probably won't take the time to read it. Of course, I am a narky old git... ;)

Thread titles like "URGENT!" or "Excel help" (no, really - in an Excel help forum??) or "This should be easy for you" pretty much guarantee I'm not going to look at the thread. If the OP can't take the time to at least give some idea of what the question is about, I probably won't take the time to read it. Of course, I am a narky old git... ;)

Hear hear! Cantankerous is my middle name. Makes me laugh when posters put titles like "Tough problem" and it turns out to be a simple formula or a few lines of VBA.

WBD

The responses are hilarious and true. Thanks so much for the feedback. I self-taught Excel VBA over a 15 year span before I knew about MrExcel. It's great to be in the presence of real experts...cantankerous or otherwise :)

My middle name is Curmudgeon because my parents were fancy.

I found this script on the internet. It's only about 100 lines of code and it does not do what i want. Can you fix it. With no explanation of what they want.

@Roderick_E

5. Overusing the "newbie" card. Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to an actual newbie, but when someone posts "I'm just a newbie, please help me" and I see that their post count is 339, well....

@Rick Rothstein
Re: "absolutely nothing"
It is kind of amazing how many posts assume mind-reading ability on the part of the people they are asking for help. In another context that pertains to my day job, I've referred to this as "problem-focused tunnel vision" and it is not unique to Excel/VBA programming

I found this script on the internet. It's only about 100 lines of code and it does not do what i want. Can you fix it. With no explanation of what they want.

Yeah, that's a good one too. Plus not telling you where they found it.

@Roderick_E

5. Overusing the "newbie" card. Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to an actual newbie, but when someone posts "I'm just a newbie, please help me" and I see that their post count is 339, well....

@Rick Rothstein
Re: "absolutely nothing"
It is kind of amazing how many posts assume mind-reading ability on the part of the people they are asking for help. In another context that pertains to my day job, I've referred to this as "problem-focused tunnel vision" and it is not unique to Excel/VBA programming

Newbie after 339 posts sounds like a hustle and I don't like to be hustled...neither in pool (kinda like Billiards for you Brits reading) nor in Excel :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back